Passion Fruit Cupcakes
Passion Fruit Cupcakes filled with Passion Fruit Curd and topped with Passion Fruit Curd Buttercream…I mean what else do you need? Check out this recipe for some of the best cupcakes you will ever make or eat!
Since these cupcakes are filled with a creamy passion fruit curd, I knew I wanted the cupcake to be super light and moist. The passion fruit curd buttercream is also really dense so the cupcake had to be light. This basic vanilla cupcake base is the perfect complement to the passion fruit curd and buttercream.
Check out my recipe for Microwave Passion Fruit Curd for the filling and frosting!
Passion Fruit Cupcake filled with passion fruit curd.
Passion Fruit Cupcakes with passion fruit curd buttercream.
Passion Fruit Cupcake cut in half to show passion fruit curd inside.
Passion Fruit Cupcakes
- 2 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup +6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup milk, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste (or vanilla extract)
Passion Fruit Curd Filling and Frosting
- 1 1/4 cups passion fruit curd, divided
- 16 ounces unsalted butter, room temp (2 sticks)
- 4 cups confectioners powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoon milk
- Preheat the oven to 325°F and prepare a cupcake tin with cupcakes liners. This recipe will yield 12 cupcakes.
- In a stand mixer or large mixing bowl, add the room temperature butter and oil and beat on high speed for about 2 minutes. Add the sugar and continue mixing on high for another 5 minutes until light and fluffy.
- While the butter is beating, add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a medium mixing bowl and stir to combine with a whisk or fork. Set aside.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, to the butter mixture and continue mixing. Scrape the sides of the bowl as needed with a silicone spatula.
- Turn down the mixer to the lowest speed and slowly add the flour mixture into the butter mixture. Then add the milk and vanilla and mix just until combined. Don't overbeat the mixture or your cupcakes will be dense.
- Evenly divide the batter into the cupcake liners and bake for 18 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and allow the cupcakes to cool for 5 minutes in the pan. Then transfer the cupcakes to a wire rack to cool completely.
Passion Fruit Curd Filling
- Take each cupcake and dig out a hole in the middle of each one. Be careful not to go all the way to the bottom of the cupcake. I used the end of my piping tip and it worked perfectly!
- Place 1 cup of the passion fruit curd into a piping bag. You can use a tip or just snip the end since you are just filling the hole. Fill each cupcake with curd so that the hole is level with the top of the cupcake.
Passion Fruit Curd Buttercream
- Place the room temperature butter into the bowl of a stand mixer or into a large bowl and beat on high for 4-5 minutes until it becomes lighter in color. Add the powdered sugar, one cup at a time, and fully mix in with each addition. Add the milk and mix in followed by the passion fruit curd. Beat until everything is fully combined.
- Place the frosting in a piping bag fitted with your favorite tip. Pipe the frosting on each cupcake covering the passion fruit curd hole. Enjoy!