Cookies N Cream Cupcakes
Can you go wrong with Cookies n Cream? I had a variety-pack of cupcakes to make for a bake sale not long ago, and when I was deciding on flavors I just felt like I couldn't leave out cookies 'n cream ;) There's just something about that flavor combination that's addictive - it's always a crowd pleaser :)
The addition of cream cheese to the frosting helps keep these from being as overly-sweet as many Oreo cupcakes I've tried.
I've seen plenty of Oreo cupcakes on Pinterest, and I think by comparison to most I went a little heavy on the 'cookie' end - lots of Oreo crumbs in the frosting, plenty of chocolate and cookie in the cupcake - but with enough frosting, there's more than enough 'cream' to balance things out! ;) Recipes/instructions below! :)
If you want the recipe to go a little faster you can 100% 'doctor up' a boxed chocolate cake mix - I replace the water with buttermilk, the oil with melted butter, add an extra egg - and in this case, 4-5 crushed Oreos too!
Cookies N Cream Cupcakes
- 350g all purpose flour (roughly 2 c)
- 450g caster sugar (roughly 2 ¼ c)
- 100g cocoa powder (roughly 1 ¼ c)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 c /250g /16 T unsalted butter, softened
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 350ml milk (about 1 ½ ; I used a 2c pyrex liquid measuring cup with mL marks on the back)
- 2 t vanilla extract
- 4-5 Oreos, broken into chunks (if desired)
Oreo Cream Cheese Frosting / Decorations
- 8 oz (one package) cream cheese, softened
- 16 Tablespoons (two sticks) butter, softened
- 6-7 c powdered sugar
- 1-3 Tablespoons milk
- 1 cup well-crushed Oreo cookies
- 1 T vanilla extract
- 1/4 t. salt
- Large piping bag + tip of your choice (I used a jumbo bag and piping tip stamped with '9FT)
- (Save & add later) 24 mini Oreos + 1/4 cup Oreo crumbs
- Preheat an oven to 350 degrees, and prep cupcake tins with 24 cupcake liners.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add the cocoa powder, plain flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt. Mix until combined. Add in the softened butter until no lumps of butter are visible and it’s well incorporated into the dry ingredients (a mixer really speeds up this process but you can do it by hand).
- In another bowl, add milk, eggs, and vanilla together and whisk until well combined. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until no dry ingredients are visible. Scrape down the bowl and mix for another 20 seconds. Chop 4-5 Oreos and mix into the batter.
- Fill each paper 3/4 full (using an ice cream scoop to transfer the batter into the cupcake liners makes this a quick and easy process otherwise you can use two tablespoons). You may not end up using all your batter, but I don't recommend over-filling the cupcake liners as they may overflow and make a mess. :/
- Bake for 17-23 min or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Allow them to cool completely on a wire cooling rack before frosting.
Frosting / Decorations
- Beat together softened cream cheese and butter; slowly add in powdered sugar alternating with milk until frosting reaches a pipe-able consistency. Add vanilla and salt and beat until well combined. Stir in Oreo crumbs until well incorporated.
- Transfer frosting to a large frosting bag fitted with the tip of your choice. Pipe frosting in large swirls onto your cupcakes. Decorate the top of each frosting swirl with mini Oreo cookie – and some more cookie crumbs.
- Done and done! Enjoy! :)
- Make this recipe? Let me know how it went - or find me on Instagram or Facebook and tag @IntensiveCakeUnit in your photo! :)