Enchiladas are always an easy family favorite. They are cheap and take no time to throw together, as long as you have all of your ingredients ready to go. They are toddler friendly and are a fun recipe to have your kids help with in the kitchen.
And while I love a good white chicken enchilada recipe, this more traditional chicken enchilada recipe is delicious. It is made with a few, simple ingredients and is ready in 30 minutes. I used Xtreme Wellness wraps (50cal, 15g of carbs, and 11g of fiber each) to make this recipe a bit healthier and it turned out great.
The best part of this recipe is that you can make the enchiladas up ahead of time, place in the refrigerator and bake them when you are ready to enjoy them.
I hope you and your family try this recipe the next time your craving for enchiladas hit.
The black beans mixed with the chicken add a bit more flavor and fiber to the dish. The green chilis add a bit of spice without adding too much heat.
Assembling the enchiladas takes no time and is a fun way to let your children help in the kitchen.
Chicken enchiladas are a filling meal to satisfy the whole family.
A bit of sour cream balances the heat from the green chilis nicely.
- 2 chicken breast; cooked and shredded (about 3 cups)
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1, 15oz can of reduced sodium black beans; drained and rinsed
- 1, 4.5oz can of chopped green chilis
- 1, 28oz can of red enchilada sauce
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 8 low carb tortillas (I used xtreme wellness wraps)
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. cumin
- 1 tbsp. chili powder
- Sour cream for serving
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Spray baking dish with cooking spray
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat
- Add diced onion and sauté' until tender, about 3 minutes
- Add shredded chicken and cook for about 2-3 minutes
- Add black beans, chilis, and 1/2 can of enchilada sauce; stir to combine
- Add cumin, chili powder and stir
- Cook for about 5 minutes until everything is heated through
- Fill each tortilla with 1/8 of the chicken mixture and 2 tbsp. shredded cheese, roll up and place in baking dish
- Top with remaining 1/2 can of enchilada sauce and remaining shredded cheese
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until cheese is melted and everything is heated through
- Serve topped with a tablespoon of sour cream if desired
- Chicken enchiladas can be made ahead of time and placed in the refrigerator until ready to bake.