Obsessed with Indian/Pakistani/Nepalese food like me?
I love naan (carbs!), especially garlic naan, but unfortunately I don't have the proper oven to make it. However, I did some research and found a few recipes that suggested using a cast iron to do the job, so I gave it a try and it worked out really well!
This is definitely passable to satisfy a craving but (obviously) not authentic. With that being said, if you have time, it is a straight forward recipe and it has very satisfying results! The naan comes out fluffy and soft -- the perfect accompaniament to any curry or grilled dish! It is also fun to do with a partner so try it next time for date night ;)
The wet ingredients gently pulling in the dry
A shaggy dough forms.
The dough begins to smooth out.
The dough comes together at high speed.
Completely smooth and finished dough.
Proof covered in a warm place.
Microwave minced garlic and butter topping.
Proofed dough before punching down.
Portion dough into 8 pieces.
Form boules with dough.
Roll dough into palm sized pieces.
Dough starting to bubble on hot pan.
Brush on garlic butter.
Top naan with parsley.
- 300g (2 ¼ cp) AP flour
- 4g (1 tsp) sugar
- 110mL (½ cp) warm water
- 7g (2 ¼ tsp) active dry yeast
- 160g (½ cp) plain yoghurt
- 2g (½ tsp) salt
- 18g (1 tbsp) oil
- 50g (3 tbsp) butter
- 30g (2 tbsp) minced garlic
- Parsley (optional, but a little bit a green looks great!)
- Bloom yeast in warm water with sugar, 10 mins.
- Add dry ingredients to the stand mixer and create a well.
- Add yeast water, yoghurt, and oil to the well.
- Using the dough attachment, knead until smooth, 10 mins. Add flour/water as necessary to achieve smooth consistency.
- Rest 1 hour, covered, warm.
- In a microwave proof dish, combine 3 tbsp of butter and minced garlic. Microwave in 15 sec bursts for 1 minute until the garlic is cooked.
- Divide rested dough into 8 equal pieces. Form boules.
- Roll into long oval or whatever shape you desire to eat.
- Using a dry or lightly oiled cast iron (I use dry), heat on medium-high until just starting to smoke.
- Lay rolled dough in the pan and cook until bubbly and browned. Lower the temp to medium-low.
- Flip and cook the other side until browned. Adjust the temp as needed to brown to your preference.
- Brush on garlic-butter and top with crushed parsley flakes!
- YOGHURT -- You can replace with sour cream or buttermilk!