Coconut Fish Curry
This Fish Curry (South India Style) recipe is one of the most favorite curry of mine. My family loves it and this has been the same recipe running since my grand mom's time.
Anyone who loves Fish will definitely try Fish curry as it contains some spices and give aromatic flavors.
Giving the background, as the Land of Coconuts, Kerala (South India) have a big coastal line, fish is the most used sea foods. Cooking in fresh fish is something you should not miss it. I am using frozen fish in this recipe but If you get chance do try with fresh one.
Coconut curry gives creamy flavor to the Curry
Perfect color of the curry
Coconut Fish Curry
Now, Lets talk about the Important ingredient:
- Fish-It can be any fish as far as it is firm and perfect to make this fish curry. I have used salmon because I eat the most. You can try Basa.
- Tamarind-I have used the normal tamarind bottle sauce which we get in Indian stores.
- Coconut-You can use fresh or frozen coconut, has to be shredded.
- Fenugreek seeds-1/8 tsp Methi seeds are a must for this Fish curry. It gives a unique taste.
To grind and make a paste:
- Coconut – 1 Cup grated
- Jeera seeds – ½ Tsp
- Methi seeds/Fenugreek seeds – ⅛ Tsp
- Onions -2 sliced
- Garlic - 3 pods (make paste)
- Ginger - 1 (make paste)
- Tomato – 2 chopped
- Mustard oil/Coconut oil – 2 Tsp
- Turmeric Powder – ½ Tsp
- Red chili powder – 1 ½ Tsp
- Coriander powder – 3 Tsp
- Tamarind- 1½ Tsp
- Mustard seeds– ½ Tsp
- Methi seeds – ⅛ Tsp
- Salt – as required
- Lemon Juice- 2 Tsp
- Dried oregano 1/2 Tsp
- Curry leaves-5 leaves
- Coriander leaves to garnish
- Mint leaves -4/5 to garnish
- 2/3 slices of cut green pepper
- 1 Green chilies
- Method to cook: Clean and cut the fish. Apply some turmeric, ginger and garlic paste, lemon juice, dried oregano and keep aside for 15 min. Now after 15 min, shallow fry until crisp and brown and remove.
- For Curry: Grind the coconut with Jeera, Methi. In a deep pan, add oil. When the oil is hot add mustard seeds and methi seeds. and grinded masala/puree . Once the Masala is turned till golden, add tomatoes and spice powders (salt, coriander powder ,red chilli powder, green chilli). Cook till the tomatoes is well mixed and makes a perfect curry. now it's time to add the tamarind juice. Add 2 glass of water and boil for 2 minutes. Let it boil till the raw smell goes. Add green pepper slices. Add some shredded coconut on top of it to make it thick. Let it boil for 5 min to mix it well and then add the fish pieces that was fried earlier.
- Cook in medium flame till the fish is cooked and soft.
- Add fresh Curry leaves, Mint and Coriander leaves.
- Serve the curry with basmati / jasmine rice or garlic naan.
- Fry the fish in Mustard oil for a good taste.
- Fish types for Fish curry : Spanish mackerel-excellent taste, Tilapia, Snapper, Barramundi, Halibut, Basa,
- Use red onions instead of white will taste excellent.
Published January 6th, 2021 5:55 PM
Wow! That looks so delicious 😋😋😋