Jalapeno Cheddar Cornbread
Jalapeño Cheddar Cornbread the perfect snack for the big game! Or to dip in your chili. Or to snack on while watching Netflix. Or whenever you want, actually 😆.
This cheesy cornbread is super delicious and satisfying. It comes together quickly and makes for easy snacking.
The jarred jalapeños make quick and easy work of adding just the right amount of heat. And those crispy, cheesy edges! So good.
Cast Iron Cornbread
When developing this recipe, I discovered making this cornbread in a cast iron skillet was the way to go. The skillet can be used directly on the stovetop to brown the butter then placed in the oven for baking.
And the crispy edges created by the baked cheddar cheese in the cast iron skillet are reason enough to use it! Clean up is a breeze, too, with cast iron.
To clean cast iron, I like to give the cast iron skillet a quick rinse under hot water. Then I use a scrub brush or paper towel to gently scrub off any residue.
Jalapeno Cheddar Cornbread
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups fine or medium grind cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups extra-sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 3/4 cup jarred jalapeños minced
- Heat oven to 375°F (190ºC).
- On the stove top, in a 12-inch cast iron skillet, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Swirl the pan to lightly coat sides and bottom, until the foam subsides and the butter turns a deep nut brown. (Watch carefully to make sure it does not burn).
- Pour brown butter into a Pyrex measuring cup or heatproof bowl and set aside. (Do not wipe out the pan)
- In a large bowl, whisk together cornmeal, flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk honey, buttermilk, eggs, and browned butter together.
- Stir wet mixture into cornmeal mixture until just combined.
- Stir in 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese and minced jalapeños until just combined.
- Set aside while you warm the cast iron pan.
- Warm cast iron skillet over medium heat for a minute or two then pour cornbread batter into the skillet.
- Smooth the top with a spatula and sprinkle with remaining ½ cup shredded cheddar.
- Bake until cornbread is deep golden brown, top is firm to touch, and a knife inserted in center comes out clean, about 25-28 minutes.
- Let cornbread cool in the skillet for 10 minutes.
- Run a butter knife around the edges to loosen then cut into triangles and serve.
- Wrap cooled cornbread tightly in plastic wrap and store at room temperature for up to 3 days or in the fridge for one week. Warm briefly in the oven prior to serving