This classic Mexican and Central American drink is sweet and very refreshing. In my country, Guatemala, there is always a pitcher of this delicious drink in the refrigerator. Growing up, there wasn't a kid's birthday party were you didn't get a glass to cool you down after hitting the piñata. Making it is very easy. For best results, it is better to soak the rice overnight, but if you are in a hurry, all you need is a good blender. The classic recipe includes cinnamon, and milk but you can get creative using vanilla, cardamom or ever spike it up with some good dark rum!
Serve it chilled over ice
All you need is white rice, sugar, cinnamon and milk
Add a sprinkling of cinnamon on top for extra flavor
1 1/3 cup of white rice
- 4 cups of water
- 1 cup of milk
- 1/4 cup of brown sugar (or to taste)
- 1 stick + 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- Soak rice overnight in four cups of water
- Blend rice, water, milk, sugar and cinnamon stick on high speed, until very well blended
- Strain mixture
- Add more sugar if needed
- Add one teaspoon cinnamon powder
- Refrigerate until ready to serve. Serve over ice.
- Soaking the rice overnight gives you better results, but if you're in a hurry you can skip this step.