If you love watermelons and cocktails, then these watermelon mojitos will be your new go-to. They are refreshing twist on the traditional mojito cocktail perfect for any summer gathering. Mint and watermelon go together so well. I’ve made so many recipes with watermelon and mint, so why not make it into a refreshing cocktail? They’ll blow your guests away!
We’re just the beginning of June and the humidity right now is sweltering, it feels like Cuban weather. Mojitos along side rum & coke are their national drinks using rum of course. Both are so refreshing in hot, humid weather.
Making Watermelon Mojitos:
This recipe is very simple to make and some elements can be made ahead of time so you don't have to while you're with guests. The first step would be to make the simple syrup. Add 1 cup of sugar to 1 cup of water into a saucepan and bring to a simmer while stirring. Once sugar has completely dissolved, turn off heat and set aside. Once it has cool down, put it into the refrigerator for about an hour before serving.
Muddling your Mint:
This step is so important to release all the aromas from the mint, or else you’ll just have a drink with some floating mint leaves. If you have a muddler, then great, muddle away! If not, you can do what I did and simply use the handle of a wooden spoon to muddle. Add your mint, watermelon, lime juice, and simple syrup to the bottom of a tall glass and press down until the watermelon is almost a purée.
To finish it off, add the rum, crushed ice and soda water then stir wit cocktail spoon. Top it off with some of mint and serve.
If you liked this recipe, you’ll love these Strawberry-Watermelon Daiquiri Pops.
I hope you've enjoyed these delicious summer mojitos as much I did and would love to see your comments.
Simple Syrup ingredients
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup Watermelon cubed
- 1 Lime juiced
- 2 oz White rum
- 2 oz Simple syrup
- ¼ cup Mint
- 2 cups Crushed ice
- 3 oz Sparkling water
- To start, pour sugar and water into a shallow sauce pan and bring to a simmer over a medium heat. Stir until sugar has dissolved and refrigerate for an hour. *
- Add mint leaves, lime juice, simple syrup, and watermelon to the bottom of a tall glass, use a muddler or the back of a wooden spoon to muddle. **
- Add rum and fill glass two-thirds of the glass with ice. Top off with soda water and stir well using a bartender's spoon.
- Garnish with a sprig of mint.
- *You can make simple syrup in advance. Alternatively, you could also buy it at the store.
- **I left the watermelon chunks inside but if you prefer, you can muddle the watermelon separately and filter out any pulp.
The mojitos look delicious! Perfect summer drink.