This classic cocktail is made with grapefruit soda, tequila, and lime juice for a refreshingly simple drink! Whip up some of these pink palomas and enjoy a refreshing sip!
A Paloma is a popular cocktail that is traditionally made with tequila, grapefruit juice, lime juice, and a touch of sweetness, often from sugar or a grapefruit-flavored soda. Some variations of the Paloma may also include a pinch of salt. The ingredients are typically mixed together in a glass over ice, and the drink is garnished with a lime wedge. The result is a refreshing and tangy cocktail that is both sweet and sour, with a distinct tequila kick. It is a popular choice for warm weather or as a brunch cocktail.
Grapefruit Juice vs. Grapefruit Soda
Grapefruit juice is made from the extracted juice of fresh grapefruits. It is typically a pure and unsweetened product that is high in vitamin C and antioxidants. Grapefruit juice can be consumed on its own, mixed with other juices to create a cocktail, or used as a ingredient in cooking or baking.
Grapefruit soda, on the other hand, is a carbonated soft drink that is made from a combination of grapefruit juice, carbonated water, and sweeteners such as sugar or high-fructose corn syrup. Grapefruit soda is generally sweeter and less tart than grapefruit juice, and it has a light, fizzy texture.
How to Make a Paloma with Fresh Grapefruit Juice
If you want to use fresh grapefruit juice instead of soda, you’ll need to add sweetener. I recommend using 4oz grapefruit juice, 4oz soda water, and 1oz simple syrup. This will add sweetness and tart grapefruit flavor to your drink.
How to Juice a Grapefruit
- Prepare the grapefruit: Rinse the grapefruit under cold water and dry it with a clean towel. Cut off both ends of the grapefruit and slice it in half from top to bottom.
- Extract the juice: Hold one half of the grapefruit cut-side down over a bowl or glass. Use a citrus juicer or a fork to extract the juice by pressing the pulp and squeezing the juice out into the bowl or glass. Repeat the process with the other half of the grapefruit.
- Strain the juice: If desired, strain the juice through a fine-mesh strainer to remove any seeds or pulp.
- Serve: Pour the freshly squeezed grapefruit juice into a glass and enjoy!
The Best Grapefruit Soda
There are many grapefruit soda brands on the market like Fresca and Squirt, but I prefer to use a lighter soda like the Q Mixers grapefruit soda.
How to Make a Pink Paloma
- 8 ounces pink grapefruit soda
- 4 ounces tequila blanco
- 1 ounce lime juice
- 1 1/3 cup ice
- Pour the Pink Grapefruit Soda, tequila, and lime juice into a glass and stir.
- Add ice and give one final stir.
- Garnish with a grapefruit slice if desired. Enjoy!