Vanilla Pound Cake a La Darlene is an out of the word fabulous pound cake.
Vanilla Pound Cake a La Darlene
I named my Vanilla Pound Cake a la Darlene after a very special lady who is also my former mother-in-law.
Mrs. Darlene definitely knew her way around the kitchen. And, I learned some great tips and tricks watching her cook for her large family.
Mrs. Darlene was known for her homemade pound cakes - especially the chocolate version. I used to love to watch her make these cakes because I had never seen the pan she always used.
Before I saw her method, I had only seen pound cakes baked in a bundt pan.
Then, I tasted her cake made in that huge loaf pan.
Not too long after that, I was standing at my kitchen window washing dishes.
I noticed Mr. Bennie, my father-in-law, pull into our driveway. He barely got the car parked before Mrs. Darlene was opening her door to get out.
Mrs. Darlene got out of the passenger side and practically ran to our front door. She was lugging her big purse.
Strangely enough, she was also carrying her huge loaf pan.
Turns out she had two of these HUGE baking pans.
She gave the other one to me.
In my humble opinion, it is the only way to bake a pound cake.
One other thing…….
When she handed me the pan, she said “Now, Jennifer. You can NEVER tell your sister-in-laws I gave this to you.”
So, y’all……………mums the word.
Now try out my Vanilla Pound Cake a la Darlene……and don’t forget to snag your very own life size loaf pan.
You can thank me later 🙂
I use a long loaf pan to bake up this large pound cake.
Add your eggs one at a time and mix each on into the batter just until incorporated.
Ingredients for Vanilla Pound Cake a la Darlene
Gradually add in the sugar to butter mixture while the mixer is running.
- 16 servings
- Prep time: 15 Minutes|Cook time: 80 Minutes|Total time: 1 Hours 35 Minutes
- Grease and flour 1 large loaf pan ( or a 10 cup bundt pan, or 2 regular size loaf pans).
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cream the butter.
- Gradually Add sugar and mix until light and fluffy.
- Add each egg one at a time, just until incorporated and yellow yolk is mixed in.
- Gradually add 4 cups of flour.
- Add vanilla and mix again.
- Pour mixture into greased and floured pan.
- Bake in oven for approximately 1 hours and 20 Minutes. But, check periodically after the first hour so that you don’t over bake the cake.
- Allow the cake to cool for 45 minutes in the pan before inverting and allowing to completely cool on wire rack.
- Do not over bake this cake. Make sure to check it often after the first hour in case your oven runs hot.
- When you bake, use a scale to measure your dry ingredients. You will be shocked at the difference in the amount of flour and sugar you use. It really makes a huge difference in how your baked goods turn out.
- Use high quality vanilla extract. This ingredient will also make a big difference in your baking.
Want more details about this and other recipes? Check out more here!Go