Can be served sliced or cut into chunks and mixed in with any noodle or rice dish.
Sous Vide Char Sui Pork
If you are new to sous vide and wondering what all of the fuss is about, you need to try this recipe! Sous vide cooking is best suited to tougher cuts if meat and belly pork is absolutely perfect for this method of cooking.
Cooking slowly at a low, precise temperature, the fat renders down perfectly and the meat comes out so tender that it literally just melts in your mouth.
Ever found belly pork to be fatty and slimy? Or tough and dry? Not with the sous vide!
While I do recommend 24 hours of marinading time and it takes 10 hours in the sous vide, I promise it is worth your time. As once it's in the sous vide, you can simply walk away until it is ready. What's more, the preparation for the marinade and the finishing steps take very little time and effort, so it's all just down to planning your time well for this show stopper!
Delicious, melt in your mouth, tender belly pork in a sticky char sui sauce.
Served with egg fried rice and mixed stir fried vegetables.
- 4 Servings
- Prep time: 24 Hours|Cook time: 10 Hours|Total time: 34 Hours
For the pork
For the marinade
- Sprinkle the salt, white pepper and Chinese five spice into the underside (the meat) of the pork belly.
- Mix all of the ingredients for the marinade together in a small bowl.
- Place the pork belly into a vacuum seal bag and coat in the marinade.
- Seal the bag and refrigerate for 24 hours.
- When ready to cook, heat a water bath with a sous vide to 74 degrees celcius/165 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Once the water has reached temperature, place the pork belly in the water bath and cook for 10 hours.
- Once cooked, remove from the water bath and plunge into an ice bath.
- Preheat your oven to 200 degrees celcius/390 degrees fahrenheit.
- Remove the pork from the bag, reserving the marinade, and pat the meat down with kitchen towel until dry.
- Place the reserved marinade in a small saucepan and simmer over a medium heat for 5 minutes or until thickened.
- Slice the belly pork then coat in the thickened sauce.
- Place the slices of belly pork in the oven for 7 minutes, then remove and place under a hot grill/broiler for 2 minutes in each side to crisp up slightly.
- Don't skip out on the narinadibg time, it will be so worth it to get that perfect flavour once the pork is cooked!
Want more details about this and other recipes? Check out more here!Go