Fresh Veggie Rolls
I love baking and cooking warm comfort foods, but there is something to be said about summer cooking as well. I love how simple, fresh and colourful the food is during the summer. These fresh veggie rolls are so simple and quick to make, and require absolutely zero cooking! They are so versatile and can be filled with practically anything. They make a great easy lunch or are equally as impressive as an appetizer.
For this recipe you will need your favorite fresh veggies, cooked and cooled rice noodles, rice paper spring roll wraps, and a dipping sauce of your choice. I love making a homemade peanut sauce to dip these rolls in but I was in pinch so I used a Vietnamese dipping sauce and the fresh rolls were just as delicious.
Begin by washing and chopping up all of your veggies. You want to cut them as thinly as possible, and approximately all the same size. This isn’t completely necessary but makes for a much nicer appearance and I find it is much easier to wrap the rolls when the vegetables are cut up thinly.
How beautiful do all of those bright colourful veggies look? I find it much easier to set up a little “assembly line” when making these rolls. For today I chose to fill mine with just veggies, but they are amazing with some kind of protein as well, such as shrimp or thinly sliced pork.
To make the rolls, take one spring roll wrapper and soak it in some warm to hot water for just a few seconds. Once it becomes soft and pliable remove it and place it on a plate or cutting board.
You will then add in your fillings. The spring roll wrappers are very delicate so you want to be careful not to overfill them as they will tear when you go to wrap them.
How I like to wrap mine is to fold up the bottom, and then the two sides, from there I roll the whole thing up while gently holding the filling in place until it is covered by the spring roll wrap.
And there you have a beautiful, fresh and delicious veggie roll!
I have made these rolls so many times, and I love how each time they taste different depending on what I fill them with.
Even though I have made these often I still have rolls that just don’t turn out. So a little tip that I have is to mix up any leftover filling ingredients with any of the rolls that didn’t work out, drizzle with some of the dipping sauce and you have lovely cold noodle salad to enjoy the next day!
Fresh Veggie Rolls
- Rice paper spring roll wraps
- Cooked and cooled rice noodles
- Fresh vegetables thinly chopped
- Vietnamese dipping sauce or peanut sauce
- Wash and thinly chop the vegetables.
- Soak a rice paper spring roll wrap in warm water for just a few seconds until it becomes soft. Remove and place it on a plate or cutting board.
- Add your fillings to the middle of the rice paper roll.
- Fold up the bottom of the rice paper and then the two sides. Gently hold the filling inside as you wrap the roll up.
- Repeat the process for as many rolls as you would like to make!
- Do not soak the rice paper for more than a few seconds as it will make it impossible to work with.
- For even more flavor try adding in some fresh herbs like mint or cilantro.
Share your thoughts, or ask a question!