This flavorsome dish is a great mid-week meal. It explodes with flavor with all the elements coming together so nicely. Feel free to mix up the vegetables you use, and substitute any vegetables you don't like with other vegetables of your choosing, such as celery or baby corns. The most important part is to slice the vegetables very thinly, as this allows them to cook better and to take on maximum amount of flavor from the seasoning. If you don't have a mortar and pestle, I recommend using dried garlic and ginger (granules or powder) and cutting the pickled ginger as small as you can. Then mix together with the rest of the seasoning ingredients in a bowl.
Healthy Vegetable Stir-Fry
Healthy Vegetable Stir-Fry
- 750 ml water (approximate)
- 1 pinch of salt
- 450g egg noodles
- 3 tbsp soya sauce
- 2 tbsp canola/ vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp pickled ginger
- 1 tsp fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1.5 tsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1/4 tsp chili flakes
- Salt to taste
- 4 carrots very thinly sliced
- 2 red capsicums/ bell peppers very thinly sliced
- 1 white zucchini very thinly sliced
- 1 purple onion very thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp soya sauce
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- Handful of spinach leaves finely chopped
- handful of coriander finely chopped
- 8-10 snow peas/ sugar snap peas very thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup roasted and sliced peanuts
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 spring onion stalk or 4-5 chive stalks chopped
- Fill medium pot halfway with water, add a pinch of salt and bring to a boil with the pot lid on.
- Once the water has boiled, add egg noodles and stir in 3 tbsp of soya sauce with a wooden spoon and let simmer.
- Follow packet instructions for how long to cook (mine took 10 minutes).
- Pour noodles into a colander to drain out all the water and add oil to keep noodles from sticking to each other too much. Set noodles aside.
- In a mortar and pestle, grind together pickled ginger, garlic, fresh ginger, fish sauce, sesame oil, chili flakes and salt until they elements combine and the mixture has minimal clumps. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan start frying carrots and onions with a drizzle of olive oil on medium heat.
- Once partially cooked (this should take around 4 minutes), add in zucchini and capsicum while continually stirring the vegetables with a wooden spoon.
- Stir in the mixture from the mortar and pestle as well as the soya sauce and brown sugar.
- Stir in spinach, coriander, snow peas and roasted peanuts. and remove stir-fry from heat.
- Mix the noodles through the vegetable stir fry until incorporated well.
- Garnish with sesame seeds and spring onion/ chives.
- Transfer mixture to serving dish and serve immediately.
Published March 16th, 2021 6:28 AM