This beautiful Braised Fennel makes the perfect vegetarian side dish for your winter meal!
Expand your winter vegetable pallet and add fennel into the mix. I love adding it to soups, pastas, and even for a spicy bite in smoothies! Fennel can be bitter so it is not super popular eaten alone, but I think this braised version will change that! Its braised in vegetable broth and elderflower liquor which compliments the fennel's citrus flavor profile. The pomegranate seeds also share the same citrus link, and the mint garnish adds a pop of freshness! This dish offers a super unique flavor that I can't stop eating!
As if you needed another reason to give this braised fennel a try, it's loaded with nutrients! Fennel is packed with Vitamin C, calcium, magnesium, and potassium!
It's the easiest side dish you'll make all season! Did I mention this dish comes together in just 30 minutes. And bonus, more than half of that time is spent braising in the oven. It's so simple! But, there are some things to keep in mind. While preparing this dish, make sure you leave the core of the fennel in tact. This may seem odd considering how tough the core is, but because the fennel bulb is composed of layers, it would all fall apart without the core.
Complete the dish by adding pomegranates for added flavor and a change in texture, and don't forget the fresh mint which ties the whole thing together!
- 2 Fennel Bulbs
- 2 Tsp Elderflower Liqour (I used St. Germain)
- 1/2 Cup Vegetable Broth
- 1 Tsp Dijon Mustard
- 1/2 Tsp Salt (add less if your vegetable broth is high in salt)
- 1/2 Tsp Pepper
- 1/2 Tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- 1/3 Cup Pomegranate Seeds
- Mint Leaves to Garnish
- Preheat oven to 500 Degrees Fahrenheit
- Rinse and dry the fennel bulbs, then cut the stems and leaves off. Place the fennel bulb cut side down and slice it into 1 inch pieces. Make sure to cut through the core so it stays in tact.
- Lightly grease a baking pan with olive oil then place the fennel on it in a single layer. Broil the fennel for 5 minutes at 500 degrees Fahrenheit until it gets slightly golden on top
- While the fennel broils, mix together the vegetable broth, elderflower liquor, dijon mustard, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes in a separate bowl.
- After 5 minutes, turn down the oven temperature to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and add in the vegetable broth mixture. Braise for 15 minutes until the fennel is slightly golden and tender.
- Remove from the pan and top with pomegranates and mint. Serve and enjoy!
- Keep the fennel core in tact so the layers stay together
Share your thoughts, or ask a question!