Totchos are the perfect midwestern version of their more well-known cousin, nachos. Both involve some type of carb topped with meat, cheese, toppings and a sauce. What could be bad? Totchos replace the tortilla chips used in nachos with potato crowns, or “tots”. Totchos have been gaining in popularity as a great game day food as they are so simple to make and are served right on the sheet pan. With potatoes, peppers, eggs & bacon topped with cheese and sausage gravy, these breakfast totchos need no kick off time to become a family breakfast favorite. The ease of this recipe involves a sheet pan to cook the potato crowns on, and one skillet to make the rest of the toppings. Your dishwasher will thank me!
- 1 32 oz. bag potato rounds or crowns
- 1/2 onion diced
- 1 bell pepper diced
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 6 eggs
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 2 green onions sliced
- 1/2 # pork sausage ground, bulk
- 3 tbsp. flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- Prepare potato crowns according to bag instructions.
- While potatoes are cooking, in a skillet over medium-high heat, cook bacon until desired crispness. Set on paper town to drain.
- In the same skillet with the bacon fat, add onion and bell pepper and saute for 5-7 minutes until softened. Remove from pan onto plate and set aside.
- Add butter to the skillet over medium heat. In small bowl crack the eggs and add salt & pepper. Whisk well and add to skillet. Stir with rubber spatula until perfectly scrambled. Remove from pan onto plate with the peppers, onions and bacon.
- In skillet, break sausage into pieces while cooking over medium-high heat. Cook until no longer pink.
- Sprinkle over 3 Tbsp. flour, stir and cook for 2 minutes.
- Slowly add milk, salt & pepper. Cook for 5 minutes until thickened. Keep on low heat, stirring occasionally. If gravy become too thick while cooking, add a little more milk.
Assembling the Totchos
- When potato crowns are done, remove from oven. Spread eggs, peppers & onions evenly over potatoes. Break bacon into small pieces and sprinkle over pan. Top with shredded cheese and place back into oven to melt the cheese, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven and drizzle sausage gravy over whole pan. Top with sliced green onions.
Want more details about this and other recipes? Check out more here!
Published October 20th, 2020 9:25 AM
Share your thoughts, or ask a question!