Grilled Corn With Doritos Butter
Today, we’re making Grilled Corn with Doritos Butter!
Yup, you read that correctly. We’re going to ground up nacho cheese tortilla chips until they’re dust, stir them into some butter with lime, and schmear that butter all over freshly grilled ears of corn.
For our corn, we want to use fresh ears of corn on the cob. Simply peel off the husks and the silk, brush them with a little oil, and toss them on the grill. Easy breezy. Now what if you really want to make this grilled corn, but it’s not idea weather for grilling. No problem! This method works just as well on an indoor electric grill, and cast iron grill pan on the stovetop, or you can even get some char in a regular ol’ super hot skillet. With any method, the key is to make sure we rotate the corn pretty frequently so that it doesn’t dry out from too much heat on one spot.
To start our Doritos butter, first we need to grind our nacho cheese chips into dust. You’ll want to use a food processor to help with this as taking out your aggressions with a rolling pin and a plastic bag isn’t going to get the chips crushed up enough. Once the chips our ground, we’re going to stir them right into some softened butter. And to give this butter an unexpected pop of pizazz, we’re also going to mix in just a smidge of lime zest.
And, that’s it. That’s the recipe! Cover the corn in butter, and enjoy.
Don’t you love when recipes are that simple?
This corn and butter mixture kind of has a street corn/elote vibe going on. The corn is nice and juicy with little charred bits that lend that smoky grilled flavor. The butter is savory and cheesy with a sassy hint of acidic lime both calming things down and getting the party started all at once. And, the combination of the two just make your tasetbuds dance.
Another thing that I love about this Doritos butter is that it never fully melts. Regardless of how finely we ground them, we’re still mixing crunchy corn chips into the butter. So, you get this nice crunchy textural component left behind as that fragrant butter starts to dribble over the sides of the corn. And, don’t be afraid to think outside of the corn cob here. You can use this butter as you would any compound butter, really. Dab it over some potatoes or some chicken for a uniquely delicious treat.
This corn on the cob recipe just screams summer to me. This is the perfect addition to any barbeque menu or weeknight dinner al fresco. I’m so excited that summer fun is on the horizon!
Alright, everyone! Raise your hand if you're going to have this one on your Memorial Day party tables this weekend.
*Insert me raising my hand.
Enjoy, and let’s eat!
Grilled Corn With Doritos Butter
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- ¾ cups nacho cheese Doritos
- ½ tsp lime zest
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 4 ears of corn, husks removed
- 1 tbsp grapeseed oil
- Make the Doritos butter: Add Doritos to a food processor, and process until the chips are completely crushed into a powder. Add Doritos powder to a mixing bowl with butter, lime zest, and salt. Mix well to combine. Set aside.
- Grill the corn: Preheat a grill pan to medium high heat. Brush all sides of the corn cobs with grapeseed oil. Place corn on the grill pan, and grill for 10-12 minutes, flipping occasionally, until char marks start to form on the corn.
- To serve, spread Doritos butter all over the grilled corn. Enjoy!
- *If the weather allows, the corn can certainly be grilled on an outdoor grill too.
- *If you like things with a little kick, try making the butter with spicy Doritos.
This sounds amazing! But, I have to ask a stupid question regarding the 3/4 cup Doritos. Is it 3/4 cup BEFORE being processed to powder? Or do you mean 3/4 of the Dorito powder.
Sounds like fun to me! Going to give it a try. Thanks for sharing.