Roasted chickpeas are an easy, healthy snack when you want something tasty and crunchy! They’re full of protein, fibre and healthy carbs.
Rinse a can of chickpeas to remove the starch, then let drain in a colander.
The trick to making these crunchy is to ensure they are as dry as can be. Spread them out onto paper towels after they are rinsed and blot the water. Then let air dry for half an hour.
Raid your spice drawer for whatever you have on hand. My standard spice mix is cumin, onion powder, smoked paprika, chili powder and garlic salt. But get creative and combine whatever spices you like!
I like to use a high heat oil; for this batch, I toss them in camelina oil, but grapeseed oil is another one I like.
After mixing in the oil spread it out on a foil lined baking sheet. I do these in our toaster oven to save energy. Be sure to use a non-stick foil; it will make sure they don’t bake right onto the foil!
Bake at 375 F for 40 minutes. Let them cool off for a bit, but they are best enjoyed when still warm and crisp.
They a delicious savoury snack; it’s hard to resist eating all of them in one sitting!
Want more great recipes and DIYs? Subscribe to Birdz of a Feather and check out our recipe category, The Unknown Chef! You can also follow us on Pinterest, Facebook, YouTube and Instagram (all links at the top of this post).
- 1 can chickpeas
- 1/2 tsp each spices: cumin, garlic salt, smoked paprika, onion powder, chili powder
- 1 TBSP Oil grapeseed or camelina
- Place chickpeas in colander and rinse with water. Let drain. Spread onto kitchen towel or paper towels and pat dry. Let them sit for 1/2 an hour to dry thoroughly.
- Mix spices in a bowl.
- Toss the chickpeas with the oil. Add spices and mix to coat. I usually do this in a bowl, but you can also do this directly in the foil-lined pan if you wish.
- Spread onto a foil-lined baking sheet in a single layer.
- Bake at 375 F for 40 minutes or until golden brown and crisp. Check halfway through baking and shake the pan.
Share your thoughts, or ask a question!