Air Fried Tortilla Chips
Today, we're making Air Fried Tortilla Chips!
This recipe could not be any easier. We only need 3 ingredients and 5 minutes to get us to the freshest, tastiest, crispiest, crunchiest chip dippers in the whole universe.
For our tortilla chips, we're going to use some store bought corn tortillas. Now, you can typically find yellow or white corn tortillas. For most recipes, I tend to favor white corn tortillas. But for these chips, I find that yellow corn tortillas get a little crispier. And, that's ultimately what we need when we're making chips. So, though white tortillas will work, I recommend getting yellow if you can.
We're going to brush both sides of our tortillas with a light layer of olive oil. Then, we'll give them a sprinkling of salt, and cut them up into wedges. That's it! That's all the prep work we need to get our chips ready. And, we can be working on this while our air fryer is pre heating.
Once the air fryer is ready, we're going to lay our wedges in a single layer into the air fryer basket. Now keep one thing in mind...our tortilla wedges are lightweight, and our air fryer is blasting high heat on the inside. So, our chips are going to fly around the air fryer a bit. And, that's totally ok! Don't be alarmed if the chips aren't exactly where you left them when you close the air fryer. But, this is exactly why we don't want to overcrowd our basket. If we put too many in at one time, they'll inevitably end up sticking to each other which will prevent them from getting nice and crispy.
The chips only take about 5 minutes per batch to cook; so when they're finished air frying, we'll transfer them straight to a cooling rack and hit them with one last pinch of salt. It's important to keep in mind that not all air fryers are created equal, so cooking times will vary between models. Start checking them at 4 minutes, and look for the chips to be mostly crisp. If they're still a tiny smidge pliable, that's totally ok. They'll continue to harden as they cool down on the cooking rack.
And, that's all it takes to make yummy tortilla chips! Now, if you don't have an air fryer, you're not out of luck. Though I totally recommend investing in one if you're able, I also have some instructions in my recipe notes on how to bake these chips in the oven instead.
Now while you're in the recipe notes, make sure you check out my hot tip for a bonus flavor of air fried tortilla chips...a yummy parmesan ranch flavor! The cool thing about these chips is that you don't have to season them with just salt. You can get creative by sprinkling on different spices before you air fry your chips in any range of flavors from savory ranch to spicy chili powder to tangy lime zest to sweet cinnamon sugar. These chips are truly so versatile!
However you choose to season these chips, they are going to be absolutely crunchy and delicious. And of course, they are PERFECT for dipping in any sauce of your choice.
I can't wait to hear what you guys think of these easy, breezy chips. If you try other flavor combos, make sure you tell me all about it!
Enjoy, and let's eat!
Air Fried Tortilla Chips
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 8 yellow corn tortillas
- salt, to taste
- Preheat air fryer to 350 degrees.
- Lightly brush both sides of each tortilla with olive oil. Stack the tortillas on top of each other, and cut into 6 wedges.
- Arrange tortilla wedges in the air fryer basket in a single layer. Sprinkle with salt, to taste. Air fry for 5 minutes. Transfer chips to a cooling rack, sprinkle with additional salt to taste if needed, and repeat with additional batches, as necessary. Enjoy!
- *Cooking time will vary between air fryers. On the Ninja Foodi Grill, 5 minutes was the perfect amount of time. On other devices, start checking at 4 minutes, and increase the cooking time in 2 minute intervals, as needed. The chips should be mostly crisp, but they will continue to crisp up slightly as they rest on the cooling rack.
- *These chips are light, and we're air frying each chip in a single layer; so they're going to fly around the air fryer as they cook. That's ok! Don't be alarmed if they look thrown around when you open the air fryer basket.
- *For a bonus flavor, mix ½ tbsp ranch dip mix with 1 tsp grated parmesan. Sprinkle the mix on both sides of tortillas before cutting them and air frying them. This mix should coat about 4 tortillas.
- *If you don't have an air fryer, these can be baked at 400 degrees for 8-10 minutes.