Cucumber Onion Salad
A bowl of fresh Cucumber Onion Salad is a step towards a healthy future!
For as long as I remember, I’ve enjoyed eating this cucumber onion salad. One thing that has always fascinated me about this salad is its flavors. This salad has got a refreshing taste that can’t go unnoticed.
Its refreshing flavors can even make the pickiest eaters like it. This easy salad is great for get-togethers, BBQ, or holiday dinners. But its simplicity and limited ingredients will always make you want to prepare it again and again without waiting for any occasion.
This classic cucumber recipe has been my absolute favorite because it always saves me whenever I run out of ideas for a delicious side dish. You can find so many versions of cucumber onion salad, but this is the easiest one.
So, get ready to impress your family with this simple, yet delicious, salad.
Refreshing Cucumber Onion Salad
Even if you are not a fan of salads, you cannot say no to this one. Why? That’s because it is literally made of two ingredients. And those two ingredients combine well to give a kick of perfect flavors.
For this salad, you can use any cucumber. But make sure that it’s fresh and juicy. Otherwise, the salad will taste bad. Soggy cucumbers that have a rubber-like texture cannot be used for the preparation of this salad.
You can give a modern twist to this salad by adding a few more ingredients, or you can prepare this simple version. Either way, it will make a delicious side dish that will leave you with a desire to want more.
I know you can’t wait to try this salad. Scroll down to get into the details.
Steps to Make Delicious Cucumber Onion Salad
This salad has limited preparation steps, which you can easily follow without fail.
Cucumber Onion Salad: Step One
Begin the process of preparing this refreshing cucumber onion salad by washing two cucumbers under running water. After washing, peel the cucumbers properly. If you want, you can rewash them.
Then move towards cutting. Ideally, you can cut the cucumber into any bite-sized shape. But I prefer dicing cucumbers into half-moons. This way, the salad gets an appealing look, and also the cucumber pieces are not too big.
Once you have diced the required amount of cucumber, transfer them into a bowl. Next, you can move towards onions. Take spring onions, wash them thoroughly. Then dice the onions into small chunks.
You can finish this process by combining the diced cucumbers and onions.
Cucumber Onion Salad: Step Two
This step begins by dressing the onion and cucumber mixture. For the dressing, you can add salt, pepper, dried dill, and olive oil. To enhance the flavors, you can further add red wine vinegar.
After adding the dressing ingredients, combine the salad well using a spatula. Carefully mix the salad so that the cucumbers do not break. You can also add chili flakes for garnishing. And then you can serve it with any side dish of your choice.
Expert Cooking Tips for Cucumber Onion Salad
- The secret of preparing this refreshing cucumber and onion salad lies in the cucumber. If you are using soggy cucumbers, your salad will not be juicy. Also, pick a cucumber that has fewer seeds. Cucumbers with fewer seeds are juicer and tastier.
- If you don’t like green onions or don’t have them in your kitchen, you can even use regular red onions. You must cut the onions into small pieces after washing and peeling.
- Instead of red wine vinegar, you can use white wine vinegar. It’s the best substitute. Either way, your salad will taste wonderful.
- If you want to enhance the flavors, add finely diced tomatoes to the salad.
Can I Have This Cucumber Onion Salad During Weight Loss?
Cucumber and onion salad is recommended during weight loss. That’s because cucumbers are low in calories. Also, it’s healthy. That means including cucumber and onion salad in your weight loss routine will be helpful.
But do not entirely depend on this salad because it does not have any source of protein. So, while you can have this salad every day, don’t forget to include protein-rich items in your diet as well.
Does Onion Burn Belly Fat?
The reason people like onions for weight loss is because it is an excellent source of soluble fiber. This thing further makes it a prebiotic food. Eating onion can give you a healthy gut, which further helps in reducing belly fat.
How Long Can I Store the Salad?
You can keep cucumber and onion in an airtight jar inside the fridge for around three days. Cucumber and onion do not spoil when marinated in vinegar, it helps keep them fresh and crunchy.
But if the salad is kept for more than three days, it will lose its crunch and freshness.
What to Serve with Cucumber and Onion Salad?
With the salad, you can serve buttered bread or sandwiches. You can also have chicken, fish, or pork with a bowl of freshly prepared cucumber salad.
Cucumber Onion Salad
- 2 cucumbers sliced and diced
- 5 spring onions diced
- salt and pepper
- 1 tsp dried dill
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp chilli flakes for garnish
- Peel the cucumbers and dice them into half-moons. Transfer the cucumber pieces into a bowl.
- Dice up the spring onions into small chunks and add them to the diced cucumbers.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste, dried dill, red wine vinegar, and olive oil.
- Mix until combined and serve with a sprinkle of chilli flakes.
- Note: For removing water from cucumber without changing the taste or texture, you can sprinkle some salt.