Wild Rice Salad
Have you ever eaten a salad and were left unsatisfied? Salads should not be boring and they should definitely not leave you still hungry!
The addition of wild rice to a salad will leave you satisfied and full of many nutrients your body needs! It is a great way to sneak in some fiber too.
This salad is super easy and you can make the rice ahead of time which is perfect for meal prepping and lunches.
I call this the purple salad, because almost everything in it is purple! But of course, any leafy greens or wild rice will work too.
Check out my Instagram @tikofoods for more recipes
Wild Rice Salad
- 1 bag or container of spring mix
- 1 cup wild rice
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 2 shallots
- 3 tbsp pine nuts
- 3 tbsp dried black currants
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
For the rice
- Bring 1 3/4 cups of water to a boil
- Add 1 cup of wild rice and cover the pot
- Let simmer, stirring occasionally, for approximately 25 minutes
- Fluff with a fork and let cool
For the salad and dressing
- Thinly slice your shallots and add them to a bowl filled with 1/2 cup of red wine vinegar to marinate in while you prepare the salad (enough liquid to cover the shallots)
- Toast the pine nuts on low heat using a small, dry pan. Be sure to mix them around frequently to avoid burning.
- Once the pine nuts are golden brown, add them to a bowl of spring mix.
- Add your marinated shallots (reserving the remaining red wine vinegar) and feta cheese to the same bowl.
- Using the reserved red wine vinegar, add 1/2 cup of olive oil and a dash of salt and pepper. Adjust according to taste.
- Add the cooled wild rice to the salad bowl, and pour in the dressing.
- Mix together and enjoy!