Buffalo Chicken Cups
These buffalo chicken cups are a delicious, bite sized appetizer that is perfect for a party! These single serving bites are only 5 ingredients but they’re so tasty, they’ll disappear quickly!
If you love buffalo chicken dip, these buffalo chicken cups will be your new favorite appetizer! They have all the same flavors but in a bite sized, portable format. This is great when you want an appetizer with less mess. And they only require a few simple pantry staples so you can make this game day recipe in no time.
- Phyllo baking shells- These pastry shells are typically sold in the frozen food section near the pastries. Another option is to use wonton wrappers.
- Cooked chicken- This is a great way to use up a little leftover rotisserie chicken or cooked chicken breast.
- Cheese- I prefer a sharp cheddar cheese, but mild cheddar is great too.
- Cream cheese- You can use full-fat or low-fat cream cheese.
- Buffalo sauce- Any brand of buffalo sauce works great, but I like Frank’s Red Hot Buffalo sauce.
What is Buffalo Sauce?
Buffalo sauce is a tangy, spicy sauce that is typically made from a mixture of hot sauce, butter, vinegar, and seasonings. It is often used as a condiment for chicken wings or other foods, and is known for its bold, spicy flavor. The name “buffalo sauce” is thought to have originated from the fact that it was first served with chicken wings in Buffalo, New York.
How to Make Buffalo Chicken Cups
In a mixing bowl, combine shredded chicken, Buffalo sauce, cream cheese, 1 cup cheddar cheese, salt & pepper.
Scoop the mixture into the pastry shells. Sprinkle the remaining 2 tablespoons of shredded cheddar cheese & green onion (if using) on top. You can bake these in a mini muffin tin, a regular muffin tin, or a regular baking sheet. Just be careful with the shells as they can be fragile.
Bake for 5 minutes until cheese is melted. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly then remove them from the pan.
Variations and Substitutions
- If you like things spicy, make these with hot buffalo sauce instead of mild.
- You can use a mix of sharp cheddar and mozzarella cheese, if you like.
- You can also serve this dip on crackers, if you don’t have phyllo shells.
- To tame the spice, try adding a drizzle of ranch on top after baking.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What are phyllo baking shells? These are small pastry cups that are typically sold in the frozen food section. They’re already partially baked, so they bake quickly.
- What else can I use other than phyllo cups? Try using crispy wonton cups or wonton paper wraps to create small cups. Or you can use tortilla chip cups like Tostitos Scoops. No cups? No problem. Turn this recipe into a dip and serve with tortilla chips or pita chips!
- Is buffalo sauce the same as hot sauce? No. Buffalo sauce is the sauce typically used for buffalo wings. Hot sauce is much stronger and much hotter. Be sure to use buffalo wing sauce, not hot sauce, for this buffalo dip recipe.
- Can I make a double batch? Yes! Feel free to double the recipe if you like.
- Can I add other seasoning? Yes! For a tangy flavor, try adding a little sour cream or plain Greek yogurt. If you love garlic, add a teaspoon of garlic powder or use a garlic buffalo wing sauce. If blue cheese is your thing, try using 2 tablespoons of crumbled blue cheese in place of the additional cheddar cheese. Or serve these cups with ranch dressing or blue cheese dressing. You can also serve these with extra buffalo sauce if you like.
- How can I store leftovers? Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge. I don’t recommend keeping these at room temperature for too long since they contain cheese.
This easy appetizer recipe will be a favorite for the big game. Even if your favorite teams aren’t playing, you won’t want to miss out on this football season snack!
Buffalo Chicken Cups
- 2 package phyllo baking shells (24 mini shells)
- 1/2 lb cooked shredded chicken
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons shredded cheddar cheese
- 4oz cream cheese
- 1/4 cup buffalo sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped green onions
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl, combine shredded chicken, Buffalo sauce, cream cheese, 1 cup cheddar cheese, salt & pepper.
- Place the phyllo shells into a muffin tin and fill each shell with the Buffalo chicken mixture.
- Sprinkle the remaining 2 tablespoons of shredded cheddar cheese & green onion (if using) on top.
- Bake for 5 minutes until the cheese is melted.
- Remove from the oven and serve while warm.
Share your thoughts, or ask a question!