Mushroom Crepe Bake
I already shared a version of these crepe bake with ham and cheese, but I also wanted to share a version for all those vegetarians out there and that is also a particular favourite of mine with mushroom.
The process is the same really, but it requires cooking the mushroom before and using it as the filling. I just think it's a beautiful fall dish, super comforting and lush. My kids also love "crespelle" (crepes bake) in this version and they freeze wonderfully so you can always make double, and eat some for dinner and some keep for another time when you are in a hurry.
Mushroom Crepe Bake
For the beschamel
- 4 ¼ cups whole milk
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup flour
For the crepes
- 1 egg
- 1 cup flour
- 3/4 cup milk
- 3/4 tbsp butter or oil
- 1 pich of salt
- 1 pinch of sugar
For the filling
- 4 cups sliced mushroom
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tbsp parmesan cheese
To make the crepes
- Whisk all the crepes ingredients together and leave the batter to rest in the fridge for 15 minutes.
- Once that time has passed, remove from the fridge and heat some oil or butter in a pan on medium heat.
- Add a ladle of the batter and spread thinly. Once all he liquid has dried up, Flip and cook for another 30 seconds the other side. Don't overcook as that will make the crepes quite stiff, you want to take them off the heat when they are just firm and dry enough.
- Repeat until all the batter is finished.
To make the bechamel
- To make the white sauce, melt the butter or heat up the oil in a pot and add the flour.
- Mix quickly and then start pouring in the milk little by little, whilst continuing to mix. You want to do it slowly otherwise you risk having lumps.
- Once all the milk has been added continue to whisk until you are sure it's all lump-free, and leave to simmer for a few more minutes until it thickens. You don't want it too thick but it should be wobbling if you scoop it up with a spoon.
To cook the mushroom
- Saute' the garlic in some oil for 1 minute.
- Add the mushroom and parsley, and cook them until soft and cooked through. Remove from the heat.
To fill and bake
- Pre-Heat the oven at 365F
- Put a few tbsp of beshamel at the bottom of a wide baking dish so that it's well covered.
- Take one crepe in your hands and fill with 1-2tbsp of beshamel (depending on how big you made your crepes) and 1 tbsp of mushrooms.
- Close it like you would close enchiladas, folding in two of the ends and then rolling it sideways. Place in the baking dish on top of the bechamel with the seam down, so that it doesn't open up.
- Repeat by placing all your bundles next to each other, like in the pictures.
- Cover with the remaining beshamel, spreading it on all the bundles, and top with a sprinkle of Parmesan.
- Cover your dish in tin foil and cook in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Take away the tin foil and leave to cook for another 10 minutes until slightly brown on top.
- Leave to cool down for 5-10 minutes and enjoy warm.
- For extra flavour, you can also add a couple of of cubes of strong cheese to the filling