Vegan, gluten-free savoury pancake that is so easy to make you won’t believe it. You just need to remember to mix it up the night before and hey presto you have dinner ready the next day!
This is the ultimate healthy dish for incredibly busy people. It’s protein-rich and super flexible! You can eat it simply with some herbs and a side of potatoes and green veg, or top it with something like thinly-sliced onion (my personal favourite option!), olives or tomatoes before baking. Alternatively I have been told you can also use it as a gluten-free, healthy pizza base! I’ll have to try out that version myself and show you how it comes out.
- 100 g chickpea flour/gram flour
- 300 g water
- 20 g olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- optional herbs: rosemary, thyme, oregano
- optional toppings:sliced onions, passata and mozzarella like a pizza
- With a manual whisk, mix everything well except the optional toppings until you get a smooth and very liquid batter. Make sure to whisk well to avoid any lumps.
- Put in a tub with a lid or cover the bowl with some cling film and leave it to rest in the fridge for 3 or more hours. You can also leave it overnight or prepare it in the morning ready to be baked in the evening if you prefer.
- Pre-heat the oven at the maximum heat, putting a non-stick metallic baking tin inside so it heats up. When it’s hot, take out your baking tin with oven gloves, quickly pour in your batter and add the toppings.
- Bake in the oven still at the highest setting that it will go until it firms up and becomes golden. In my oven that’s about 15 minutes at 275°C
- Enjoy warm or cold!
- Make sure you choose a large enough baking tin. The thickness of the "pancake" should be about half a cm. If your baking tin is not completely sealed, you can use baking paper at the bottom but in that case don’t exceed 220°.