Mini Cinnamon Rolls Recipe
Rustic mini cinnamon rolls are the ideal brunch, snack, or dessert any time of year. These cuties were created from some leftover homemade pizza dough (quick dough used for this awesome cast iron skillet recipe), for a sweet treat that wouldn't *completely* harm the waistline. Kids will enjoy a cinnamon roll sized perfectly for them, or grab a handful for yourself and treat yourself to something special.
What makes these special:
- Have an odd amount of dough leftover from personal pizza night? Use the leftovers!
- These are baked in a trusty cast iron skillet. Since they don't double in size during baking, you can add more cinnamon rolls than a traditional recipe.
- This recipe is vegan-friendly for those avoiding animal products.
If you make these, I would love to see your final results! Be sure to connect with me on IG to share your creations and join the community. Until next time, cheers to your hearth, health, and happiness!
Flip the cinnamon rolls over after they’ve finished baking to let the shiny “goo” be the first thing your hungry friends see. You can sprinkle with toppings of your choice, like nuts or actual sprinkles if kiddos insist.
Mini Cinnamon Rolls Recipe
For Cinnamon Rolls
- 2 1/2 cups pizza dough
- 5 tbsp light brown sugar
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- pinch flour for rolling out dough
- 1 1/2 cups powdered (confectioner's) sugar
- 4-5 tbsp almond milk add one tablespoon at a time to sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 365º F.
- On a lightly-floured surface, roll out pizza dough until thin, approximately 1/8th of an inch thick. This should make a rectangle about 12" long and 9" wide. To make a thicker dough, the rectangle can be smaller.
- Sprinkle light brown sugar, ground cinnamon, and salt over the open dough. Use a butter knife or spatula to spread the ingredients evenly. This promotes an equal amount of gooey filling in each bite.
- Gently roll the rectangle length-wise, making the "turns" tight. Using a sharp knife, cut 1" slices, creating about 16 mini cinnamon rolls. Place them on cast iron skillet.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, or until the dough turns a golden brown.
- In a small bowl, add powdered sugar. Slowly add milk 1 tablespoon at a time, until the glaze becomes a thick liquid that can be drizzled over the cinnamon rolls. Add pure vanilla extract and stir until incorporated. If you use less milk, add only 1 tsp of vanilla extract.
- Allow to cool and use spatula to remove from skillet. Some cinnamon will leak out of rolls during baking, so I like to flip them over to serve and showcase the shiny coating. Drizzle with glaze after about 10 minutes from removal from oven. Enjoy!
- This recipe creates more glaze than is needed for these cinnamon rolls. You can easily store for later use (stored up to one week, refrigerated).