Bison Shepherd's Pie
Cooler temperatures calls for warm and comforting dishes at home. What about a creamy and velvety shepherd's pie. The delicious combination of the mashed potato and the meaty stuffing, is just perfect.
This time, I decided to change things a bit and create a new recipe with bison meat, but still keeping the essence of the traditional Shepherd's pie recipe.
What about bison meat to make this shepherd's pie?
I lightly seared and seasoned small pieces of tender and lean bison meat, then add my fave veggies like, diced carrots, onions, celery and mushrooms, add some marinara sauce, stock and let it simmer to velvety consistency.
All the ingredient are combined nicely to create a velvety meaty base for this dish. Now, for the topping, I decided to combined potatoes and sweet potatoes, boiled till super soft and mashed them to creamy consistency.
How to plate it? A comforting layer of juicy bison stew, topped off with creamy mashed sweet and russet potatoes, then broil for about 10 minutes or until is golden on top.
Have you tried Bison meat?
A nice spin to a traditional and comforting dish. Serve with a side with garlicky green beans.
Love the golden color from the mashed potatoes as the perfect top layer for this Bison shepherd's pie.
I hope you try this recipe, please leave a comment below.
Let's Dishplay_it together....Happy Holidays!
Bison Shepherd's Pie
Bison Stew Meat (pie filling)
- 1 lb of diced bison meat
- 2 carrots (cubed)
- 2 celery stalks (cubed)
- 1 cup of mushrooms (cubed)
- 1/2 of white onion (diced)
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 1/2 tsp of pepper
- 1/2 tsp of garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp og smoked paprika
- 2 TBSP of Chosen Foods avocado oil
- 2 cups of veggie or beef stock
- 1/4 cup of tomato sauce or pasta sauce
Mashed Potatoes (topping)
- 3 russet potatoes
- 3 small sweet potatoes
- 2 TBSP of butter
- 1/3 cup of milk
- Salt + Pepper to taste
- chopped parsley for garnish
- First, on a hot dutch oven pot, add some avocado oil and brown the onions for a few minutes and remove from heat. In the same pot, add another drizzle of avocado oil and seared the bison meat for about 2 minutes, then add all the seasonings.
- Next, add the veggies to the pot: onions, carrots, celery, and mushrooms, stir and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Then add veggie or beef stock and marinara sauce, cover and let it simmer for about 20 minutes.
- In the meantime, peel, cut and cook potatoes in a pot with boiling water.
- Once the potatoes are ready, this means you can cut through and they are soft. Remove from heat, drain and mash the potatoes. Add the butter and milk and whipped together until smooth. Then season with salt and pepper to taste.
- In a rectangular pyrex, drizzle a little of avocado oil. Then put a layer of the bison stew meat and then top off with the creamy mashed potatoes. Optional: drizzle of olive oil.
- Broil for about 10 minutes to get a golden color on top.
- Add chopped parsley for garnish.
- Suggested side dish: garlic green beans.