Arepas With Beef Picadillo
Have you tired arepas before?
These are a typical staple in some Latin American countries like Venezuela and Colombia. These are patties made from corn meal and stuffed with anything you like, from beef, picadillo, chicken salad, beans and cheese. It is a savory dish, full of latin flavors to enjoy with family and friends. I am from Ecuador but had family from Venezuela than visited often and made the most amazing Arepas. So delicious!
I was in a latin market the other day, and found the brand PAN for pre- cooked corn meal. This reminded of the delicious arepas I tried back home. So decided to make it for my family. I have to be honest, I was a little intimidated at first, since I want to make sure the dough is the right consistency and I cooked them right. I found a very simple recipe and how easy was to make them. Just need to mix the corn meal and water, to make a delicious patty, then lightly toasted and baked for 20 minutes. They will come out a little crispy outside but soft in the inside.
For the stuffing, I decided to make cuban styled beef picadillo. This is ground beef seasoned with latin spices, raisins, and olives. I also made "crema verde", a delicious and tangy creamy cilantro sauce, with cream cheese, greek yogurt, cilantro, garlic and lemon juice.
So let's start cooking !
Simply delicious and tasty. These are now my kids favorite.
This creamy cilantro sauce is tangy and adds another layer of flavor to this arepas with beef picadillo.
How to assemble?
Make a pocket in the center of the arepa, then add a spoonful of creamy cilantro sauce and beef picadillo, and top it off with fresh cilantro. Enjoy!
Let's Display_it together!
Arepas With Beef Picadillo
- 2 cups pf PAN ground corn meal
- 2 cups of warm water
- 1 TBSP of Avocado oil
- 1 lb of organic lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup of chopped yellow onions
- 1/4 cup chopped bell peppers
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/4 cup of raisins
- 1/4 cup of chopped green olives
- 1/2 tsp of cumin
- 1/2 tsp of smoked paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 TBSP of tomato paste
- 1 bay leave
For the arepas
- In a large bowl, pour the 2 cups of corn meal. Then add slowly the warm water and mix with your hands until you get he right consistency and not sticky. Knead the dough for about 2 minutes
- Then separate the dough into 8 small balls. Then start shaping into patties about 4 inches round. They shall be not to thin or too think.
- In a hot flat pan or griddle, add a little drizzle of avocado oil, and sear each patty for about 2-3 minutes each side.
- Pre- heat the oven to 350 degrees. Line the arepas in a cookie sheet an baked fro about 15-20 minutes.
- In a large skillet, drizzle 1 TBSP of avocado oil and cook the onions, garlic. Sautee for about 5 minutes.
- Then add the ground beef and seasoned with salt, pepper, cumin and smoked paprika. Then add the tomato paste and bay leave, mix all together. Stir occasionally until meat is cooked for about 8 minutes. Then add the raisins and chopped green olives. And cook for 2 more minutes so all flavors are incorporated. Remove the bay leave and set aside while the arepas are in the oven.
- Serve warm with creamy cilantro sauce. Want the recipe? Please leave comment below.