Chicken Parmesan Meatball Subs
Chicken Parmesan Meatball Sub, need I say more? Growing up in New York, Friday night take-out from our favorite pizza spot was always something I looked forward to. And what is the next best thing other than pizza, a chicken parmesan sub or hero as we call it. I wanted to take that same burst of flavor and turn it into another classic, a meatball sub. With both those classics in mind, we decided to create Chicken Parmesan Meatball Subs. Check out the recipe below and give it a shot at home!
Ricotta cheese is so under utilized in a lot of Italian American cooking but it has been a secret weapon of mine in many of my Italian dishes. It really upgrades any dish you want to have a creamy texture or taste in. We made sure to add ricotta to the meatballs for our Chicken Parmesan Meatball Sub but we also took it a step further and spread some ricotta on the sub rolls themselves along with the mozzarella and sauce. GAME CHANGER. The creaminess that you get with each bit is out of this world. Moral of the story, don’t skip on the ricotta at any point in this recipe!
Once your meatballs and sauce are done, make sure to toast your bread BEFORE adding the cheese and meatballs. By toasting your bread a little before hand, it will help to keep the bread crisp instead of soggy when you go to take a bit. Get the inside of the bread to a nice golden brown and then add your cheese, sauce, and meatballs and bake again. It seems like such an odd step but it really helps keep the shape of the sub the entire time and not fall apart in your hands after a few bites. Next up for these Chicken Parmesan Meatballs is over some pasta and you better bet it’s with some ricotta tomato sauce.
Really enjoy Chicken Parmesan, try out our Healthy Chicken Parmesan Stuffed Peppers!
From our kitchen to yours, cheers!
Chicken Parmesan Meatball Subs
- 2 cups preferred tomato sauce
- 1 loaf italian bread
- ½ cup ricotta
- 1 cup mozzarella
Chicken Parmesan Meatballs
- 1 lb ground chicken
- ¼ cup ricotta
- 2 eggs
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ¼ cup parmesan
- ¾ cup Italian breadcrumbs
- ½ tsp red pepper
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp basil
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp thyme
- Preheat oven to 400°
- In a large mixing bowl add together all chicken parmesan meatball ingredients
- Mix well so ingredients are evenly combined
- Scoop out and roll about 12 meatballs and place on baking tray
- Bake meatballs for 25-30 minutes or until they are golden brown and reach an internal temperature of 160°
- Remove from oven and slick Italian bread in half length wise
- Place Italian bread in the oven for about 5 minutes or until the inside is toasted
- Remove the bread and construct your sub. First add mozzarella to the bread, spoon the sauce on top, and place a few dollops of ricotta before placing a few meatballs in each sub
- Bake for 5-10 minutes. The cheese will begin to bubble and turn a golden brown
- Remove from oven and enjoy!
- Toast your bread before adding anything to it!
- Be generous with the ricotta on your sub!