Egg Roll in a Bowl
This recipe for Egg Roll in a Bowl is simple to prepare and makes a ton of food! An easy, healthy dinner and a huge volume meal.
I love Asian food. Absolutely love it.
This recipe for Egg Roll in a Bowl is one of my favorites for a couple reasons:
- It only makes 4 servings
- The bowls are huge.
This is a recipe we make at least once or twice a month. It’s fairly cheap to make and easily customizable.
Is Egg Roll in a Bowl low-carb?
If you leave out the rice, this recipe is indeed lower in carbs. The vegetables will add a few, but not many.
Cauliflower rice is a good option if you still want a rice-y feel but fewer carbs.
Is this recipe low-calorie?
If you just make the meat and cabbage mixture (Without the extra stir fry veggies and rice), it comes out to about 233 calories. That’s if you use ground turkey.
I consider that to be pretty low-calorie. My typical meals are between 400-500 calories, so do what you will with that.
How to make Egg Roll in a Bowl
Start by cooking a pound of ground turkey in a large pan.
You can drain it if you like. I used 93/7 ground turkey so I really didn’t have much to drain.
Cook rice (If using), using your preferred method. I use a rice cooker, which really saves effort on my part!
Note: Brown rice typically takes longer to cook. Usually 75 minutes as opposed to about 35 with white rice.
Add the coleslaw mix and cook for 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
You don’t want to cook this too long- otherwise the cabbage will get a little too soft for my tastes.
Add the soy sauce, garlic, and ginger, and stir to combine.
If you want to add some extra vegetables, do so at this point.
I love bags of stir-fry veggies because they’re so convenient to just heat up and add to my food!
Divide into 4 dishes and serve!
I added some peanuts on top of mine for extra fat and flavor- it really adds an extra crunch!
Egg Roll in a Bowl
- 1 pound ground beef or turkey
- 1 16-oz bag coleslaw mix
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 16-oz bag frozen stir-fry vegetables (Optional)
- 1 cup rice, uncooked (Optional)
- Start cooking the rice using desired method- stovetop, rice cooker, etc.
- In a small bowl, add the soy sauce, garlic, and ground ginger and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Fully cook the ground beef or turkey, and drain.
- Cook the bag of stir-fry vegetables, if using, in the microwave.
- Add the bag of coleslaw mix and the soy sauce mixture and cook, stirring occasionally, until the coleslaw mix is slightly wilted but still crunchy.
- Divide into 4 bowls and serve with rice, if using.