Green Bean Casserole
A bowl of hearty homemade fresh bean casserole makes a perfect side dish!
If you’re searching for a classic holiday recipe, you must try my green bean casserole recipe. It tastes amazing, gets prepared in an hour, and looks delicious. Basically, it ticks all the boxes to be considered as a fantastic side dish.
But it’s not a regular green bean casserole. It’s the best green bean casserole. What makes it the best? My secret ingredient, i.e., vegetable broth. It gives a super rich flavor and texture to the casserole, which is very different.
What makes me want to prepare this yummy green bean casserole, again and again, is the time and effort required. You can literally make this dish in less than an hour, and it tastes nice. So, it’s a win-win for me.
Once you have prepared the green bean bake casserole, you can spend more time with your friends and family. You can enjoy your holiday just as you should and not by exhausting yourself in the kitchen.
Baked Green Bean Casserole Recipe
Before I share this green casserole recipe, I want to share a story with you. I was always a picky eater, but whenever my mum made cheesy green beans for dinner, I would love it.
I often asked her to prepare it, and eventually, I learned this baked green bean casserole recipe. Ever since then, I have been making it for my family. And I’m sure that you are going to love it as well.
I blanch the beans used in the recipe, so they don’t lose their shiny green color during the cooking process. Honestly, blanching also makes the beans extremely tender and allows them to get cooked quickly in the oven.
My cheesy green bean casserole recipe requires a few ingredients. So, you won’t have to go grocery shopping each time you prepare this dish.
Scroll down to get into details.
Steps to Prepare Green Bean Casserole with Cheese
To prepare baked green bean casserole, peel and wash an onion. Then dice it and keep it aside. Next, take 1 lb green beans, wash them under running water, and cut them evenly.
Heat olive oil in a nonstick frying pan. Add diced onion and flour. Cook for a few minutes, and then add vegetable broth.
With that, add green beans, onion powder, pepper, and paprika powder. Mix everything until combined.
When the vegetable broth and beans mixture thickens, you can transfer it to a well-greased baking tray. For extra flavors and creamy texture, add grated cheese on top.
Bake the dish in an already heated oven for 25 minutes.
- Adding fried onions can make this easy green bean casserole recipe a lot tastier. You can also put sliced almonds before serving.
- If you don’t have fresh green beans for a bean casserole recipe, use frozen French-style green beans or canned beans.
Variations of Green Bean Casserole
Below are some variations on classic green bean casserole:
- Make the classic green bean casserole more flavorful by adding flaked almonds and breadcrumbs as toppings.
- If you don’t like green beans, you can replace this veggie with cauliflower or broccoli.
- Add strips of bacon to the simple green bean casserole. Fry the bacon strips until crisp. You can also add mushrooms for a rich flavor and taste.
- Do you want to turn this side into a main dish? Well, you can add shredded chicken to your healthy green bean casserole.
Can this dish be prepared ahead of time?
Yes, you can make it. In fact, if properly kept, the dish can stay good for up to 3 days. Before storing, let the homemade green bean casserole cool. Then cover it with foil and refrigerate.
Before you eat the refrigerated dish, reheat it in a preheated oven and enjoy.
Where can I get crispy onions?
You can easily purchase a pack or tub of crispy green onion from a supermarket. The sweet and crunchy fried onion makes the perfect topping for delicious green bean casserole.
But if you can’t find fried onion in the market, you can also prepare it at your home. For this, you need one thinly sliced red or white onion. Heat oil in a large pan and fry the onion in batches, so it gets perfect crisp. Put the onion on a paper towel and sprinkle salt.
What to serve with fresh green bean baked casserole?
Generally, cheesy green bean bake casserole is served as a side dish with baked salmon, grilled steak, roasted chicken, and roasted turkey. Or you can also serve this delicious side dish with quinoa or rice.
Can I add too much cheese?
Adding grated cheese can enhance the flavors of your green bean casserole, but you must not add too much cheese.
Green Bean Casserole
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 lb green beans
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup grated cheese
- Warm the olive oil in a nonstick frying pan over medium heat.
- Cook the diced onion and stir in the flour.
- Cook for about 2 – 3 minutes, and pour the vegetable broth.
- Stir in the green beans, paprika powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper to taste and mix until combined.
- When the mixture thickens slightly, transform to a baking tray well greased and top with grated cheese.
- Bake in an already heated oven at 350 F for about 25 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy