These Zapiekanka (also known as "Polish pizza") are a popular Polish street food. As soon as I learned about them, I was excited to try my hand at making these toasted open-faced sandwiches that are made from a sliced baguette. Each sandwich is traditionally topped with sautéed mushrooms, cheese and that trademark drizzle of ketchup on top.
For my Zapiekanka, I topped them each slightly differently: two of them with sautéed mushrooms, Monterey jack, caramelized onions, with fresh chives on one and arugula and bacon on the other. I topped the other two with crumbled sausage, caramelized onions, brie, and one with curry ketchup and julienned fresh basil, and the other with fresh parsley, smoky BBQ sauce, and crispy caramelized leeks.
This yummy Polish street food turned out to be a delicious cross between pizza and a hot sandwich. I'm excited to make these Zapiekanka again, as I think they would be a great way to use up various leftovers on my fridge-clean-out-days!
Delicious Polish street food!
Getting some nice color on the caramelized onions is key.
I added some crumbled sausage.
Dinner is served!
- 2 mini baguette's, sliced lengthwise
- 1/4 cup of butter, divided
- 2 cups White Mushrooms, sliced
- 1 sweet onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup freshly grated brie
- 1 teaspoon fresh chives, sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh arugula
- 2 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 pound sausage, cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Monterey jack cheese
- 2 basil leaves, rolled and thinly julienned
- 1 teaspoon fresh parsley, finely minced
- 1-2 tablespoons curry ketchup, purchased or homemade
- 1-2 tablespoons smoky BBQ sauce, purchased or homemade
- In a skillet over medium heat, melt butter and sauté mushrooms until soft, cooked through and slightly golden brown. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove and set aside. In the same pan, melt 2 tablespoons of butter and caramelize onions for about 15 minutes or until soft and they are golden brown.
- On two halves, evenly spread the cooked mushrooms and onion to cover the cut sides of each bread. Sprinkle with freshly grated brie cheese and on the other two halves, the cheddar cheese.
- Toast in a 250 degree F. oven for about 5 minutes, or until cheese is all nicely melted through, about 5 minutes.
- Add the fresh toppings, drizzle with ketchup and BBQ sauce and serve immediately.
- Feel free to substitute ham, turkey or even roast beef for the crumbled sausage.