Asian Chicken Rice Bowls
Who remembers the P.F Chang's Chicken and Lettuce cups? I know I do. That was my absolute favorite thing to order there. I remember thinking it was a "healthy" option because they were lettuce cups... little did I know the sauce was probably loaded with sodium! I decided to recreate this favorite but with a healthy twist on it. These Asian Chicken Rice Bowls are made with simple and healthy ingredients leaving you feeling fully satisfied, you won't even think about ordering this out again!
These Asian Chicken Rice Bowls come together in less than 30 minutes, depending on your rice! They're the perfect weeknight dinner when you have very little time to make a healthy and delicious dinner. Next time you think of going out to order those Chicken & Lettuce cups, try this healthy and simple option instead :)
Asian Chicken Rice Bowls
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 cup chopped baby shiitake mushrooms
- 2 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp oyster sauce
- 2 tsp sriracha
- 1 tbsp white rice vinegar
- 1/2 tsp coconut sugar
- 1/4 tsp agave
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp minced ginger
- 2 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- black sesame seeds
- mixed spring greens
- In a small pot, add 1 cup brown rice and 2 cups vegetable stock. Heat and bring to a boil uncovered. Once you reach a boil, put the lid on, lower the heat and let the rice cook until the stock is fully absorbed. Leave covered until everything else is ready. Don't forget to fluff it!
- In a pan on medium heat, add your toasted sesame oil and minced garlic. Saute and allow to cook until fragrant (~1-2 minutes).
- Add the ground chicken into the pan and brown in the sesame oil and garlic.
- While the chicken begins to cook, let's chop the mushrooms and make the sauce! Measure 1 cup baby shiitake mushrooms and place into your food processor. Pulse until it is chopped up into small pieces. Feel free to add more mushrooms than just a cup! For the sauce, in a bowl, add the soy sauce, oyster sauce, rice vinegar, coconut sugar, agave, minced ginger and sriracha. Whisk and set aside.
- Continue to brown and cook the ground chicken until fully done. Once it is cooked, add the chopped mushrooms and sauce. Mix and cook on very low heat until the rice is finished.
- In your bowl, add a serving of brown rice, topped with the asian chicken, your favorite stir fry vegetables and a garnish of mixed spring greens and sprinkle of black sesame seeds. If you like it spicy, I recommend adding a drizzle of sriracha!
- Rice: remember I said the cooking time for the meal depends on your rice? Well, Della is the rice I use for all my recipes. It cooks perfectly every single time and cooks in ~20 minutes, sometimes less! On their website, you can search where to find it near you and Amazon Prime carries it as well. Trust me, it's worth it! >>> check out their products HERE!
- Oyster Sauce: I haven't cooked with oyster sauce much, but I picked up Kame Oyster Sauce at my local Wegmans for this recipe and it seemed to work perfectly! Definitely going to try cooking with this more!
- Sweeteners: you'll notice this recipe calls for two sweeteners- coconut sugar and agave. I have only tried this recipe with those two sweeteners but I'm sure you can substitute with honey or light brown sugar. If you try this and it works out, let me know! I would love to hear from you!
This sounds delicious will try...