Freezer Pasta Microwave Lunches
Get more for your money with these homemade Microwave Pasta Lunches! Made with a hearty meat and veggie sauce and freezer friendly!
Anyone here survive on those microwave dinners for awhile?
They were such easy meals for me! You pay a dollar for the simple kinds, and like 2 minutes later you have a delicious pasta meal.
They’re good and all, but I wanted to create my own version- one that was healthier and had a lot more food in it!
How do you make the spaghetti sauce?
I cooked one pound of ground turkey (Ground beef is fine too) with one cup of shredded carrots and a 6-ounce package of sliced mushrooms. I absolutely love adding vegetables to pretty much anything, especially in sauces. Once those carrots were cooked down, I didn’t even notice them.
I also used a jar of spaghetti sauce to save time, but you could also use your own favorite recipe.
Can pasta be frozen and reheated?
Absolutely! I do this all the time, especially with pasta freezer meals. If you can, try to undercook the pasta just slightly because microwaving/baking frozen pasta will help cook it the rest of the way.
Is this cheaper than buying store-bought meals?
Let’s do the math for a minute. I’m using the Main Street Kitchen Ziti with Meat Sauce as an example, found at Wal Mart for 97 cents. It has meat sauce and cheese, just like mine.
Breaking down my cost, for 5 homemade bowls:
- 9 ounces pasta: $.75
- 1 pound ground turkey: $3.00
- 1 jar spaghetti sauce: $2.00
- Carrots: $.20
- Mushrooms: $1.39
- Mozzarella cheese: $1.00
Cost per bowl: $1.66
So technically, mine is more expensive. However, look at how much you get in my container. It’s a LOT more than what you’d find in a 97-cent meal, plus you know exactly what’s in it. AND you get the added vegetables, so extra nutrition!
Do you serve anything with these pasta bowls?
I served mine with some frozen broccoli and homemade Jalapeno Cheese Bread, but you could probably just eat your pasta bowl by itself depending on your calorie needs.
I may have to make up more of these soon. They’re such an easy lunch for John to grab and go!
Want to see the other recipes in this series? Check out my 4 Weeks to Fill Your Freezer page!
Freezer Pasta Microwave Lunches
- 9 ounces dried pasta, any variety
- 1 pound ground beef or turkey
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 6-ounce package sliced mushrooms
- 1 28-ounce jar spaghetti sauce
- 1 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella
- Boil a pot of water and cook the pasta to just slightly undercooked. Drain and set aside.
- In a large pan, cook the ground turkey along with the carrots and mushrooms until the meat is fully cooked.
- Add the jar of spaghetti sauce and cook another 2-3 minutes.
- Divide the pasta, about 1 cup each, into 5 freezable containers.
- Divide the meat sauce, about 3/4 cup each, into the containers with the pasta.
- Top with shredded mozzarella.
- To freeze, cool completely and place the lids on top. Label with a marker or a sticker, then place in the freezer.
- When ready to eat, thaw in the fridge overnight and microwave for 90 seconds.
- If heating from frozen, defrost for 1-2 minutes in the microwave and then cook for another 1-2 minutes, stirring inbetween.
Share your thoughts, or ask a question!