Pesto Eggs is that new trend that’s all over Instagram and TikTok. It’s the simplest recipe to make and is perfect for when you have leftover pesto sitting in the fridge. Essentially, you spread an even layer of pesto on the bottom of a baking dish and then crack in how every many eggs you want, and bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes. Pesto is an oil based condiment so instead of adding oil or butter to the pan, the oil from the pesto will flavor and coat the eggs while they bake.
I call this the Italian version of Dr. Seuss’ Green Eggs and Ham. The green eggs are the pesto eggs, and the ham is the prosciutto. I took it a step further and added some ricotta as well as Calabrian Chili Vinaigrette.
You can make this recipe for a party of 2 or a party of 10…just make sure you have enough pesto and a big enough baking dish to crack all the eggs in.
However, if you’re cooking for yourself or even one other person, you can add the pesto to a fry pan and crack the eggs directly into the pan and cook on top of your stovetop just as if you were to cook eggs any other day of the week. They don’t have to be baked.
- Toast of Choice (ideally you want a sturdy piece of bread)
- 6 large eggs
- Calabrian Chili Vinaigrette
- Preheat your oven to 350º
- Evenly spread the pesto in a baking dish that is big enough to hold six eggs. Then crack in the eggs so they are evenly spaced apart. Bake the eggs for 15 to 20 minutes (or until cooked to your preferred doneness)
- Alternatively, spread some pesto to a fry pan and heat over medium heat. Once hot, crack in your eggs. Cook your eggs to preferred doneness directly in the pan over the pesto (no oil or butter needed).
- While the eggs are cooking, toast your bread.
- One the eggs are cooked, it's time to assemble. On your toast, spread a layer of ricotta followed by some pesto. Next add a few slices of prosciutto and then your cooked eggs. Finally top your eggs with a little more pesto and Calabrian chili vinaigrette.
- Check out my Instagram reel, @cooking_with_rocco, for step-by-step on how to make this dish. And check out my website, www.cookingwithrocco.com, for my Basil Pesto and Calabrian Chili Vinaigrette recipes.