Philly Cheesesteak Dip
Today, we’re making Philly Cheesesteak Dip!
For this sinful recipe, we’re taking all the flavors of the classic sandwich and reimagining them into a warm, cheesy, gooey, hearty dip that’s sure to knock anyone’s socks off.
So, let’s get to it!
We’re going to prepare this dip in 3 separate sections: the creamy section, the veggie section, and the beefy section. But after we have all three components prepared separately, we’re going to mix them all together, throw them in a baking dish, and let everything melt together until it reaches prime ooey gooeyness.
For the creamy base of our dip, we need 4 different kinds of cheese! We need some softened cream cheese, some shredded mozzarella, some shredded cheddar, and a couple slices of good ol’ American cheese that we'll dice into small little pieces. Then to round everything out, we’ll add a little sour cream to help smooth out the dip, and that’s it for our creamy base. Now as far as cream cheese goes, this dip is pretty heavy, so you could absolutely swap in a lowfat cream cheese for this recipe. That’s actually what I did. There’s enough other things happening in here that you won’t even miss those extra calories.
After we give all of our creamy things its first mix to start getting things nice and combined, we can work on our veggies. We simply need a little butter, some minced onion, and some minced red bell pepper. We’ll saute the veggies in the butter along with some garlic powder, salt, and pepper until they’re tender and just starting to brown slightly. Then, we’ll drop the veggies straight into the bowl with our creamy base.
Next up, we’ll cook our beef right in the same skillet we used to cook our veggies. Shaved beef is pretty readily available in the meat section of most grocery stores these days, so all of the hard work is done right there for you. But if there’s some chance you can’t find shaved beef, you can always buy a thick ribeye, toss it in the freezer for a bit, then use a super sharp knife to shave off extra thin slices of meat, as well. Either way, we’ll cook the beef in a little more butter along with good ol’ s&p and some worcestershire sauce until it’s just cooked through. Then, we’ll transfer the meat to a cutting board, give it a good chop with our knife so that the beef is able to evenly distribute through our dip, and toss the chopped meat right into the bowl with everything else.
Like I said, once all three components are in the bowl, we’re going to give the whole situation a good mix. As soon as everything is fully combined and incorporated, we’ll transfer the dip to a baking dish, top it with some more cheese, and let it bake until it’s bubbly and golden.
When you’re ready to serve, you can toast some baguette slices, pour out some crackers/tortilla chips/pretzels, or even chop up some crudite to use as dippers for this amazing dip. However you choose to serve this, your tastebuds will be happy! This dip is so creamy thanks to all that cheese. It’s so hearty thanks to all that beef. And, it really tastes exactly like you’re eating a cheesesteak sub without all of the extra mess.
It is so good. And, it’s absolutely PERFECT for any game day table!
Alright, everyone. Whether you’re more focused on Valentine’s Day or game day this year, I definitely have you covered for both! And make, sure you tag me on socials when you recreate any of the ideas or recipes so I can see too!
I hope you all enjoy. Have a safe and happy weekend. And, let’s eat!
Philly Cheesesteak Dip
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened (I used low fat)
- ½ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup + ½ cup shredded mozzarella, divided
- ½ cup shredded cheddar
- 2 slices American cheese, diced
- ½ tbsp + ½ tbsp unsalted butter, divided
- ½ red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- 1 lb shaved beef
- ½ tsp salt, plus more to taste
- ¼ tsp pepper, plus more to taste
- 1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
- toasted baguette, crackers, pretzels, and/or crudite, for serving
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- To a large mixing bowl, add cream cheese, sour cream, ¼ cup mozzarella, cheddar, and American cheese. Mix well until fully combined. Set aside.
- Make the Veggies: Melt ½ tbsp butter in a large non stick skillet over medium heat. Add onions, red pepper, garlic powder, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Stir to combine. Saute for 7-8 mins until the veggies start to soften and slightly caramelize, stirring occasionally. Transfer veggies to the bowl with the cream cheese mix, and return skillet to the heat.
- Make the Shaved Beef: Add remaining ½ tbsp butter to the skillet, and leave the temperature at medium heat. Add beef, ½ tsp salt, ¼ tsp pepper, and worcestershire sauce. Stir to combine, and cook until beef is no longer pink. Transfer beef to cutting board, and run your knife through the meat a few times to chop it into smaller pieces. Add meat to the cream cheese mixture.
- Stir the meat/veggie/cream cheese mix well until everything is fully combined and incorporated. Transfer mix to a 9 inch pie plate, and spread out into an even layer. Top with remaining ½ cup mozzarella. Bake for 25-30 mins until the dip is bubbly and the cheese starts to brown.
- Serve with toasted baguette, crackers, pretzels, and/or crudite. Enjoy!
- *You can find shaved beef in the meat section of most grocery stores these days. If by some chance you can't find it, you could buy a ribeye steak, pop it in the freezer for about an hour, and use a sharp knife to thinly shave the beef. Cook as the recipe describes, from there.
- *Leftovers can be refrigerated, and they reheat well in the microwave.