Fresh Summer Melon Salad
When the weather is scorching hot and you're kind of tired of the summer heat, cold melon is a welcome snack. Why have just one melon when you can have three at once?! This Fresh Summer Melon Salad ticks all the buttons!
I've opted for cantaloupe, honeydew, and watermelon. You can certainly use the whole melon, but that makes a LARGE salad.
How do I choose a ripe melon?
One of the greatest mysteries is what is on the inside of a melon, right? You kind of have to go on faith, but there are some signs to look for that can help guide you. And you certainly want ripe, juicy, sweet melon for your Fresh Summer Melon Salad!
- I always compare the weight of several before I pick one. The heavier they are, the juicier they are!
- A watermelon will have a dull skin, not shiny. If the spot where it was lying on the ground is yellow with no stripes, it should be ripe and sweet. Make sure there are no cuts or bruises. If you want to appear that you know what you are listening for, you can tap it with your finger or thumb! Truly, though, it will have a hollow sound when it's ready to be eaten.
- Ripe cantaloupes have a pronounced, ridgy webbing. Both cantaloupes and honeydew melons should also have deep, dark furrows, or stripes, when they are ripe.
- You can also gently press the stem end. If it gives a bit, it is ripe. Smell it, too ... it should smell sweet and musky.
- Ripe cantaloupes will have a golden undertone and ripe honeydew melons will have a dull finish to the skin just like watermelons.
Scoop out the seeds from the cantaloupe and honeydew, then use a melon baller to scoop out the fruit. If you don't have a melon baller, you can use a cookie scoop, like I do! Or just cut the melons into bite-sized chunks.
The dressing for Fresh Summer Melon Salad is simple and delicious!
It's just honey, lime juice, cilantro, and salt. The honey doesn't like to mix with the lime juice so be patient! Just keep stirring and the lime juice will eventually break it down and it will mix in.
Et voila! A very refreshing, cooling summer salad that can accompany any meal or simply be a delicious snack!
Fresh Summer Melon Salad
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 3 Tablespoons honey
- 2 Tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1/2 cantaloupe, scooped out with a melon baller about 2 cups
- 1/2 honeydew melon, scooped out with a melon baller about 2 cups
- 1/2 small watermelon, scooped out with a melon baller about 2 cups
- Combine the lime juice and honey and stir till the honey dissolves into the lime juice. Be patient because the honey is stubborn! Add the salt and cilantro and stir to combine.
- Put all of the melon balls in a large bowl. Pour the honey-lime dressing over and toss to coat. Refrigerate until serving.
- If you don't have a melon baller, just cut the melons in bite-sized pieces.