Khandvi is a popular Gujarati dish which is soft rolls made with gram flour, yogurt, and regular spices. If you are a fan of Gujarati cuisine, then this easy Khandvi recipe is perfect for you. The best part is, this dish can get done in 30 minutes. So if you have been wondering what to make for breakfast or evening snacks, this Gujarati khandvi recipe is a great option. If you want to treat your family with something delicious and healthy then this khandvi recipe is just perfect. Khandvi is easily available pan India and mostly popular as breakfast or as evening snack.
Khandvi needs very basic ingredients, which you might already have in your pantry. It is made with gram flour (besan), yogurt, salt, ginger paste, turmeric powder tempered with mustard seeds, green chili, sesame seeds, and garnished with grated coconut and cilantro.
Although many people think that it is very difficult to make but if you follow few simple tips and tricks then you will always be able to make khandvi perfectly at home. Khandvi is incomplete without a special tadka which not only enhance the taste but also make it look beautiful.
Follow this easy Besan Gujarati Khandvi recipe and If you like it then please comment below, I would love to read your thoughts!!!!
For Khandvi batter
- 1 Cup Gram flour
- 1 Cup sour yogurt
- 1 tbsp ginger chili paste
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- salt to taste
- Pinch of hing
- 2 cup water
- Oil for greasing
- Fresh grated coconut for stuffing
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp white sesame seeds
- 6 to 7 curry leaves
- 2 chopped green chilli
- 1/2 cup coriander leaves
- 1/2 cup grated coconut
For Khandvi Batter
- In a mixture jar, add gram flour (besan), curd, ginger chilli paste, salt, turmeric powder & hing. Without adding water grind it into a smooth paste.
- Add grinded mixture into a bowl, and then add 2 bowls of water and whisk forming a smooth flowing consistency. Khandvi batter is ready.
- Then in a non-stick pan, pour khandvi batter and cook it on medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes or till the batter is cooked and transparent.
- Take a spatula of khandvi paste and spread immediately over the plate. Then allow it to cool for 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle some grated coconut and coriander leaves and cut them into 2 inches wide with a knife.
- Start rolling from the edges gently and roll tight making sure there are no cracks.
- Place all khandvi rolls on the plate.
- To make tempering heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds, white sesame seeds, curry leaves, and chopped green chilli.
- When they splutter turn off the heat. Pour tadka on the khandvi roll using a spoon evenly.
- Garnish with fresh coconut and coriander leaves.
- Take an equal proportion of gram flour and curd. Water should be double the quantity of gram flour.
- Cook khandvi batter on high flame for 3 to 4 minutes or till it becomes slightly transparent.
- Don't cook the Khandvi batter for too long. If the mixture thickens, the layers will become thick as well.
- Spread the khandvi batter over the greased surface as quickly & swiftly as possible for thin layers. If cooled, the batter will become lumpy.
- Cool down khandvi complete and then roll it. Do not roll when it is slightly hot.
- Khandvi goes best with coriander chutney or coriander mint chutney