Gluten Free Oatmeal Chai Cookies
Fall is like the ultimate best season for cooking and baking in my opinion. There are so many beautiful, cozy spice combinations that are synonymous with the season and for me at least, one of those spice combos is chai. I've been adding the cozy spice blend to everything from cookies to ice cream to my coffee and am dying to see if it works well in something like pulled pork, but haven't gotten around to trying it yet because gluten free cookies are priority, right?!
Although I made these gluten free oatmeal chai cookies with paleo flower, they're technically not grain free because of the oats, but using paleo flour keeps your grain consumption down, which for my tummy at least is a very good thing. Especially with all the baking I'm doing these days! I truly wish I could just open a store front in my yard and sell all of these baked goods when recipe testing is complete. We have SO MANY around the house at all times and it's beginning to feel like too much, which honestly is not something I ever thought I'd say! I'm such a dessert person - especially when it comes to gluten free cookies and gluten free brownies - but too much of a good thing isn't always a good thing, right?! Or is it? The jury's still out.
If you're on the hunt for low FODMAP desserts that make you feel your best, I'd definitely suggest not only 1. all of my recipes ;P but 2. getting your hands on a paleo flour blend that you love. My personal favorite is Bob's Red Mill Paleo Flour blend. I find it works really well as a 1:1 substitute and it is gluten free and grain free so you can eat your heart out on low FODMAP desserts! The next ingredient I would suggest for making these gluten free oatmeal chai cookies or any other low FODMAP desserts is monk fruit sweetener. It is also keto friendly and tastes and bakes just like sugar so it's a baking staple in my house.
Did you get a chance to make this recipe? Don't forget to leave me a love note in the comments and let me know what you think! And don't forget to tag your images on Facebook and Instagram so I can see how your creation turned out!
Gluten Free Oatmeal Chai Cookies
- 2 cups Paleo flour blend
- 1 1/2 cups oats
- 1 cup granulated monk fruit sweetener
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 2 sticks butter or vegan butter for dairy free, softened
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1 tsp cardamom
- 1 tsp allspice
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp clove
- Pre-heat oven to 375F and line three baking sheets with parchment paper.
- First, in a large mixing bowl, combine flour, oats, baking soda, salt, and spices whisking to combine.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together softened butter and sugars until smooth.
- Add in egg, vanilla extract and almond extract and continue to mix on medium speed until fully incorporated.
- Gradually add dry ingredients to wet, mixing on medium low speed and being sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl with a spatula as you go so all ingredients are able to mix completely.
- Spoon out cookie dough and arrange on cookie sheets, 6 cookies per sheet.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until tops are starting to become golden brown.
- Store cookies in an airtight container up to three days at room temp or up to one week in the fridge.
Share your thoughts, or ask a question!