This is one of my favourite cookie recipes. The cookies themselves are not overly-sweet, the real sugar rush comes from the confectioner's/icing sugar coating that creates the volcano-like affect. They are super easy to make , and only take about 13 minutes to bake. For the mixture, you'll need to mix the cocoa mixture with the flour mixture after making them in two seperate bowls. The recepie also calls to chill the mixture in the refrigerator for eight hours and trust me it's worth the wait. Chilling them first creates the best outcome and tastiest cookies. Store cookies in an airtight container for up to six days, but they are so delicious that they probably won't last as long! I know in my house no one can walk past the cookie jar without grabbing one.
9 hr 13 min
Cookies ready to go into the oven
Cookie getting it's confectioner's/icing sugar coat
Mixing flour mixture into cocoa mixture
- 120g (1 cup) cocoa powder
- 400g (2 cups) white sugar
- 120ml (1/2 cup) vegetable or canola oil
- 4 large eggs
- 1.5 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 250g (2 cups) all purpose/ plain flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- (Approximately) 3/4 cup confectioner's/ icing sugar (for coating)
- In a medium bowl, mix cocoa powder, sugar and oil together. Use a whisk to mix in the eggs and vanilla until the mixture looks shiny.
- In a small bowl, mix together flour, baking powder and salt. Use a wooden spoon to mix the flour mixture into the cocoa mixture.
- Cover the mixture with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for at least 8 hours.
- Once the mixture has chilled, preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F). Line 4 oven trays with baking/ parchment paper. Place confectioner's (icing) sugar in a small bowl. Feel free to use a small amount and top up as you need to save wasting unused sugar.
- Use a teaspoon to scoop out aproximay 3cm (1 inch) balls of the mixture and coat with confectioner's/icing sugar before placing on prepared oven tray. Ensure that you leave around 5 cm (2 inches) between each cookie as they will spread as they bake.
- Bake in preheated oven for approximately 13 minutes, the sugar should be cracked and the cookies flattened (see pictures for reference). Let cookies cool on oven tray for 10 minutes before removing them.
Published February 11th, 2021 12:41 PM