Chewy Oreo Chocolate Chip Cookies
I've been having a major debate lately trying to choose whether to have Oreos or Chocolate Chip Cookies for dessert and let me just say it's been rough... I mean who could actually choose between the two, they're just wayyy too good.
One day I was just sitting eating both Oreos and CC cookies (don't judge lol) and that's when I was like "wait a minute, I can actually have both!!" And that my friends, is where this brilliant recipe originated. Sometimes, I just want to have the best of both worlds and this is BY far the best definition of "best of both worlds". It has the chewiness of a chocolate chip cookie, it has a whole bunch of chocolate just like an Oreo, and it makes me do a happy dance the way both cookies do. I guess you can say I'm a little obsessed!! Okay well maybe not a little but you get the point. If you are an Oreo and a chocolate chip cookie lover, this is the perfect recipe for you.
For additional tips, F.A.Q, and tricks to nail this recipe, check out the full recipe post on my blog here.
Chewy Oreo Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 cup unsalted butter , softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup baking chocolate, chopped
- 1 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 tsp instant coffee granules
- 1/2 + 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 10 regular Oreos (no filling) , processed to fine crumbs
- 14 whole Oreos , crushed into chunks
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium mixing bowl, cream the softened butter, brown sugar and white sugar until well incorporated. Beat in the vanilla and eggs until light and creamy.
- Sift together the flour, baking soda , instant coffee and salt. Add in the processed Oreo crumbs.
- Add in the sifted dry ingredients slowly into the wet ingredients until just combined.
- Stir in 1/2 the Oreo chunks (7 crushed Oreos), chocolate chips, and the chopped chocolate. Refrigerate the dough for 1 hour.
- Scoop the dough into 2-tablespoon sized balls and roll them in the remaining Oreo chunks. You can also add in additional chocolate chips/chunks on top at this point. Place the cookie dough balls onto a baking sheet, about 2-3 inches apart. (If there is additional dough, refrigerate it while the first batch finishes baking).
- Bake in the preheated oven for 12 minutes. Remove from the oven and use a round cookie cutter, bowl or cup to scoot the dough back into a perfectly round shape, then place the cookies bake into the 350ºF oven for an additional 6 minutes or until the edges have lightly browned.
- Take it out of the oven and use the round cookie cutter, bowl or cup to shape the cookies a final time. Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 7-10 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack and allow to cool for an additional 5 minutes before serving.
- Don't over-mix the cookie dough. Only mix until everything is incorporated then stop.
- Once the cookies come out of the oven, it will look like it's not ready (it will be very soft when you touch it and look like it hasn't baked thoroughly). Don't worry, the cookies will continue to bake when they are cooling and will harden slightly. Taking the cookies out when they are under-baked will ensure a soft, chewy, and gooey cookie.