Banana Toffee Pie
This is such a creamy pie and easy to make. I love the combination of the toffee mixture and the banana. Adding the whipped cream on top helps balance it all out. Instead of a graham cracker crust I made a shortbread cookie crust. The very same directions as the Graham cracker crust just made with shortbread cookies. To begin I put the shortbread cookies into a food processor and pulsed them until a fine crumb mixture. Then I added the melted butter and pulse a little. Pat that around the pie pan with a measuring cup until it forms a pie crust. Add a layer of bananas to the crust and then begin the toffee layer. Melt the butter and brown sugar add the sweetened condensed milk. Stirring constantly for 10-12 minutes until the mixture thickens and turns golden. Remove from the heat and cool. Add another layer of bananas and top with the tofffee layer and then add whipped cream on top. You can add freshly made whipped cream or from the tub. I used the tub whipped cream and it tasted wonderful. This is such a refreshing dessert, it is hard to explain but is creamy and cool but a little rich. Definitely a treat. Make sure to use firm bananas not overly ripe ones. This can be stored in the refrigerator for three to four days.
Showing how it looks before spreading out the whipped cream.
The shortbread crust.
Starting the caramel toffee mixture on the stove on low.
Cook until thickened and caramel colored.
Make sure to add a layer of firm bananas to the crust top.
The toffee layer on top of the bananas, then add another layer of fruit to the top of the toffee layer.
Adding the whipped cream.
All done and ready to be refrigerated.
Banana Toffee Pie
- 2 C Shortbread crumbs. Cookies crushed in a plastic bag or food processor.
- 6 T melted butter or margarine.
- 1/4 C butter, unsalted.
- 1/4 C brown sugar
- 1 Can 14 ounces, Sweetened condensed milk.
- 3 Medium bananas
- Whipped topping.
For the crust
- Mix or process in a food processor all ingredients.
- Pat into a pie pan taking some up the sides using a fork or measuring cup.
For the toffee layer
- In a saucepan over low heat , melt the butter or margarine and brown sugar, stirring until the sugar is melted.
- Add the sweetened condensed milk.
- Cook on medium low until it is thick and caramel colored.
- Remove from heat and let cool a bit.
- Add a layer of bananas to the crust mixture.
- Pour the toffee mixture over the banana mixture.
- Add another layer of bananas.
- Spread whipped topping over the top of the pie.
- Refrigerate for at least a couple of hours.
- You can use homemade or ready made whipped topping.