Raspberry Lemon Scones
Spring has definitely sprung here in Baltimore. The flowers are blooming, the sun is shining, and it’s lighter out more of the day. There are always those staple season recipes you break out when the seasons change. My Raspberry Lemon Scones is just that recipe this time of year. There is something about scones in the spring season that bring a smile to my face. Enjoyed with a cup of coffee or tea any time of day really. We had these scones on our patio one evening with some coffee. Maybe we should add it to our Date Night In Ideas!
Before ever making scones, the intimidation was real. The way they bake together while still maintaining their cuts when you take them out of the oven. How is that even possible. Loving this dough and pastry cutter by the way. Getting that just right amount of dry to be a scone but not so dry that you need to take a sip of coffee after every bite. The fear was just that, fear. Everything turned out great in fact. The first batch I made were vanilla bean, classic, how could I go wrong?
Now that I accomplished the basics of scones I wanted to bring more of a challenge to the baking game. It’s funny, I worked at a bakery for 5 years but am a TERRIBLE baker. Much better cook. The thing with baking is that you need to get it right on the first try. With cooking, if you mess something up there is always time to fix it. And who knows, maybe that mess up brings new flavor to a dish you love but didn’t anticipate. So stretching my legs baking was frightful for me.
But I did, I decided to simply make lemon scones first because they seemed on the same scale as vanilla bean. They turned out divine. Once diving into these scones they reminded me of one of my favorite cakes, coconut cake with lemon and raspberry filling. The decision was made, Raspberry Lemon Scones were next to make. But I was in for some surprise when I very much underestimated all the liquid the raspberries would produce. So a few tries later and here we are. Moral of the story, don’t be intimidated by something you’ve never done. You might be amazing at it.
From our kitchen to yours, cheers!
Raspberry Lemon Scones
- 2 cups flour
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 6 tbsp cold butter cut into cubes
- ½ cup milk
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup raspberries
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 375°
- In large mixing bowl add dry ingredients for the scones and mix well to remove any lumps
- Slowly add in milk, vanilla, and butter. Mix well until dough is consistent
- Add in raspberries and form into round dough ball
- Place parchment paper on baking sheet and place dough on the sheet
- Flatten out a little bit but keep the round shape
- Cut dough with knife or bench scraper to 8 scones but keep the round shape of the 8 scones together
- Sprinkle a few pinches of sugar on top of the scones and bake for 30 minutes
- While scones are baking add Lemon Glaze ingredients into small mixing bowl and mix together until you get a nice icing
- Once scones are done baking, remove from oven and place on rack to cool
- Now that scones are cooled, add the glaze on top and serve