Summer Berry Sheet Pan Pancakes
Your 4th of July breakfast awaits! I promise I won't judge if you decide to make this a serving size of one, but technically this is great for those who love pancakes and don't want to slave away in front of the griddle all morning. This serves 10-12 and only needs to bake for about 14 minutes, making this the easiest pancake recipe to date! For those celebrating the 4th of July, have fun arranging the berries to create a festive pattern and sneak some extra berry surprises into the recipe by lining the bottom of the pan with extra berries of your choosing!
To create the flag pattern with some powdered sugar, cut strips of parchment paper and cover the strawberry rows to protect them from the sugar coating. Then, simply remove the parchment to reveal the flag stripes!
My favorite part? These sheet pan pancakes are vegan-friendly, using olive oil for fat, plant-based buttermilk, and flaxmeal eggs. Traditional pancake ingredient fans won't notice the difference, but can easily substitute ingredients to suit your preferences.
Whip up a batch for yourself and let me know what you think! Check out similar recipes at Inspired Epicurean.
Summer Berry Sheet Pan Pancakes
- 2 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- Pinch of coarse sea salt (reserved for the final step before baking)
- 2 cups plant-based milk (I used soy)
- Juice of 1 1/2 lemons (added to soy milk to make a plant-based buttermilk)
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 flax meal eggs (2 tbsp flax meal and 6 tbsp water, mixed together and placed in the refrigerator to thicken)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar + 1 tsp reserved for just before baking
- 1 pint blueberries, washed, drained, and stems removed
- 3/4 cup thinly-sliced strawberries
- 1-2 tbsp powdered sugar for decorating
- Preheat the oven to 410ºF.
- Add the fresh lemon juice to the plant-based milk and allow to sit while preparing the rest of the recipe.
- On a lightly-greased sheet pan, line the bottom with 3/4 of the blueberries and 1/4 of the strawberry slices.
- Whisk dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda, cornstarch, and salt) together in a bowl.
- In a larger bowl, combine the wet ingredients (plant-based buttermilk, extra virgin olive oil, flax eggs, and granulated sugar).
- Gently stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, until no major clumps remain. The batter should only have small lumps - a size that is barely noticeable.
- Pour the batter over the berries in the bottom of the pan, and spread to the edges. Arrange remaining berries in the pattern of the American flag, if desired. Sprinkle with reserved sea salt and sugar.
- Bake for 14 minutes, or until the top is a light golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean when removed.
- Optional: Cover rows of strawberries with parchment paper and sprinkle with powdered sugar. Serve these warm with maple syrup, or the topping of your choice!
- I used a half-sheet pan size for these pancakes, 18 x 13 inches.
- Acceptable substitutions:
- Regular buttermilk instead of plant-based buttermilk (1:1 substitution)
- Regular eggs instead of flax meal eggs (1:1 substitution)
- A different, neutral-flavored cooking oil of your choice (1:1 substitution)