I originally found this recipe years ago in a cookbook I picked up at a yard sale. I've made a few adjustments to it over the years, but it is still one of my favorite go-to recipes whenever I need my lemon fix! The original recipe is for one regular loaf of bread, but I often change that up by making two 'mini' loaves. That way we can have one with our morning coffee and freeze the other one for another day. I also made a change to how I glaze the bread sometimes too! Either way, you'll get that 'extra' tart and sweet flavor that makes this bread such a treat!
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 6 tbsp softened butter
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 cup powdered sugar **SEE NOTES FOR GLAZE INSTRUCTIONS
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together sugar and butter until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, until incorporated.
- Add milk alternately with flour mixture.
- Stir in lemon zest.
- Pour batter into two greased 4x8x2 bread pans. Bake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl combine the powdered sugar and lemon juice. Whisk until smooth.
- Remove bread from oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes before removing the loaves from the pans.
- Place on a rack to cool completely before drizzling with glaze.