Easy Apple Cake
I found this easy apple cake recipe in one of my mother’s cookbooks from the 1960’s. Just a few tweaks later it not only looks amazing, but tastes even better! Plus, I made it gluten free!
Autumn is my favourite season for being in the kitchen! The smells of the season just add to the cozy comfort of a cool fall day.
I know autumn has arrived when it is time to head to the apple orchard! This past Sunday was a stellar day for apple picking, so off we went.
Apple picking has been a tradition in our family for the last eight years, since my daughter discovered a little hidden gem called Windwood farms. It felt like we had the whole orchard to ourselves back then!
Sadly for us, it has become incredibly popular, and for good reason. Wonderful apple orchards to wander through, loads of varieties of apples, friendly staff, and great prices!
And, now also a tradition, I bake a new apple recipes when we get home! This I made this scrumptious apple cake!
What are the best apples to bake with?
Whenever I am baking with apples, I always include a few different varieties in the recipe. Some of my favourite baking apples are:
- Granny Smith
I actually came across this recipe in a cookbook I found at my mom’s. She must have got it from my Nan, as it looks like it from the late 60’s from what I can tell.
It is loaded with fresh apple slices all baked into the most delicious, moist cake. Brushed with apricot jam it has the perfect amount of sweetness.
I changed it up a bit to suit my taste, as it didn’t have any spices and the proportions were not enough to fill a spring form pan.
It turned out perfectly! The apples were cooked to perfection, and the cake was moist, buttery with just a hint of cinnamon.
What can I bake with apples
There are loads of things you can bake when you find yourself with lots of apples! Everything from this delicious apple cake, to crisps, to tarts and more. Here are a few of our family favourites:
Whether it’s apple picking, cozying up the home, long walks amongst the changing leaves, or celebrating my birthday, these are all the things that make this time of year so special.
It could be fashion, a healthy lifestyle, flowers, a recipe, a stunning tablescape, or decor tips to make your house a home! Simply click here to subscribe. I never sell or share your information, and you can unsubscribe at any time!
Until next time…..
Easy Apple Cake
- 3/4 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/3 cup flour (I used 1 to 1 gluten free flour)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 8 large apples, sliced thin
- apricot jam
- confectioners sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees, and spray 9 inch springform pan with non-stick spray.
- In the bowl of electric mixer, combine butter, sugar and vanilla and beat well. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Combine salt, flour and baking powder and cinnamon, and add to butter mixture. Beat on low until well combined, about two minutes.
- Pour batter into prepared pan, and arrange apple slices on top.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, until toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and immediately brush with apricot jam.
- Allow to cool before removing springform and dusting with confectioners sugar.
- Serve with fresh whipped cream or ice cream.