The softest lemon cupcakes filled with a delicious homemade lemon curd and topped with a beautiful frosting...
The BEST lemon cupcakes
I LOVE lemon desserts. These cupcakes remind me of Starbucks' lemon muffins with that drool worthy lemon curd. They are pretty easy to make too so there's no excuse to ditch the Starbucks ones!!
Ingredients in lemon cupcakes
I wouldn’t suggest changing anything in this recipe, keep the ingredients and measurements the same and you won’t be disappointed.
Use regular all-purpose flour for best results. I haven't tested other flours but if you do, feel free to leave me a comment below!
You will need granulated sugar or golden cane sugar.
Use 2 medium-sized eggs for best results.
Use lemon zest and lemon juice.
You will also need baking soda, baking powder and salt.
Use melted butter, greek yogurt or sour cream and milk.
For the lemon curd you will need 3 eggs yolks, granulated sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice and butter.
For the frosting you will need icing/powdered sugar, cream cheese, butter and vanilla.
Tools you will need to make this
You don’t really need much to make this recipe and you can easily use what you already have on hand.
You will need:
- Muffin tins + liners
- 1 mixing bowl
- 1 saucepan
- 1 hand mixer/stand mixer + bowl
- Piping bag to frost the cupcakes
- Spatula to mix
- Whisk to mix
For measuring: 1/4 tsp, 1/2 tsp, 1 tsp, 1 tbsp, 1/3 cup, 1/4 cup, 1/2 cup, 1 cup.
For the lemon cupcakes
- 1 - 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 - 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cups melted butter
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
For The Lemon Curd
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons butter
For The Frosting
- 4 cups icing/powdered sugar
- 1 cup cream cheese
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Start by preheating the oven to 350°F/180°C and prepare the muffin tin with liners.
- In a big mixing bowl, whisk the sugar with the melted butter.
- Whisk in the eggs then the greek yogurt, milk and lemon juice.
- Mix in the vanilla.
- Mix in the flour, lemon zest, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Pour the batter into the muffin liners and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- In the meantime make the lemon curd.
- In a saucepan, mix the egg yolks with the sugar.
- Switch on the heat and place on low and keep whisking.
- Add the lemon juice and keep whisking until the mixture thickens (about 10 minutes).
- Turn off the heat and add the butter and keep mixing together.
- You can choose to refrigerate the lemon curd at this point.
- Once the cupcakes cool, make a small hole in the middle of each one and pipe in the lemon curd.
- Make the frosting: in the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the butter with the cream cheese until combined.
- Add the vanilla then the powdered sugar and keep mixing until combined into an icing.
- Add the icing to a piping bag and frost the cupcakes.
- You can keep the cupcakes in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Can these be made ahead and frozen?