An Easy Coffee Cake Recipe
With Memorial Day this weekend just around the corner, here is a simple, delicious and festive coffee cake for your holiday. Not only can it be a breakfast treat, but a yummy afternoon snack with a cup of tea or coffee. Once you try this easy coffee cake recipe, you will realize how versatile it is using whatever fruit is in season.
For this recipe today, I am using raspberries. However, you can use apples, peaches, pears, blackberries, and blueberries. I would imagine you could use frozen fruit or canned fruit too. Coffee cake ingredients include: flour, sugar, milk, eggs, lemon juice, butter, cinnamon, baking powder, salt and a fruit of your choice.
The recipe calls for 2 eggs~~and I love using our fresh eggs. Just look at the color of that yolk! Fresh eggs are tasty on their own, but I really see a positive difference when I use them in baking.
After beating the eggs and adding the “sour” milk (lemon juice and milk), mix in the dry ingredients and blend until there are no lumps. The batter will be a bit stiff or thick. Also, if you are adding very sweet fruit, you may want to decrease the amount of sugar.
Gently stir in the fruit with a spatula, being careful not to smoosh it.
Spread the batter in a buttered or greased 9 x 13 inch baking dish. Top the batter with the streusel topping of butter, brown sugar, flour (and nuts are optional).
Bake in a preheated oven at 400 degrees for 40 minutes until the coffee cake is hot and bubbly. Your kitchen will smell fabulous too!
Let the coffee cake cool before cutting. This recipe is truly delicious warm or cold. And it is so easy to experiment with different fruits. Every time I make this I get so many compliments. Who doesn’t like an easy, adaptable recipe?
The combination of the sweet fruit, the crunchy top and the soft cake is just amazing!
A perfect addition to breakfast or brunch or just with a cup of coffee or tea. Depending on the size of the piece, I would say this recipe serves 15-20 people. For Memorial Day you could even do a combination of blueberries and raspberries to get in the patriotic colors of red and blue (and white for the cake)!
For other easy breakfast ideas to feed guests, check out this recipe for an egg breakfast casserole here. And an easy granola recipe can be found here.
An Easy Coffee Cake Recipe
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 TBSP baking powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 cups fresh blueberries or other fruit can use frozen or canned
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sour milk 2 T lemon juice in bottom of measuring cup, fill with milk, let curdle for 3-5 minutes
- 1 stick margarine or butter melted
- 1 stick butter or margarine melted
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 2 TBSP all purpose flour
- 1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- In a large mixing bowl, beat eggs. Add sour milk and butter, stirring well. Add the dry ingredients and mix until not lumpy. Carefully stir in the blueberries (fruit). Place in a greased 9" x 13" pan.
- Mix all the streusel ingredients together and spoon evenly over the batter in the pan. Bake at 400 degrees for 40 minutes or until lightly browned and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Share your thoughts, or ask a question!