You guys. Did you know you can make this Taco Bell classic right at home??? With all of your favorite taco fillings inside? Everyone in the family can customize exactly what they want in it, and even make their own! It's so fun! The kids will love stacking up all the ingredients they love into big flour tortillas, placing that crunchy corn tortilla in the middle, and folding it all up into a neat little pocket. And when they bite in.... ooh it's like a quesadilla but better because of that crunch!!! I made mine with ground beef, but ground turkey or chicken will work as well, or if you prefer more of a shredded chicken type of filling, go for that too! And be sure to bake off some extra crispy corn tortillas, because they will be difficult to resist fresh out of the oven - I had to dip some right into the guacamole!!!
Who doesn't love a Crunchwrap Supreme???
Just listen to that crunch!
- 8 large burrito-size flour tortillas
- 8 small taco-size flour tortillas
- 8 small taco-size soft corn tortillas (or sub with tostada shells)
- 2 lbs ground meat (beef, chicken or turkey)
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 packages of your favorite taco seasoning
- 1 can refried beans
- 1 bag prepared shredded lettuce
- Fresh diced tomatoes
- Fresh sliced jalapeños
- Fresh cilantro leaves
- Sour cream
- 1 pkg shredded Mexican cheese
- Avocado (slice for inside the Crunchwrap or mash to serve on side)
- Taco sauce
- Prepared salsa
- 1 lime
- Start by baking the crispy corn tortillas. Take 8 soft corn tortillas and rub lightly on both sides with olive oil. Place on foil-lined baking sheet and bake at 350º for 10 minutes on each side, checking to make sure they don't burn. When they come out of the oven, sprinkle lightly with flaky sea salt or kosher salt, and a squeeze of lime juice. Alternatively, use pre-made tostada shells and bake according to package directions.
- In a large hot sauté pan, place the onion and meat and brown until almost fully cooked. Drain out any grease if necessary, then add in taco seasoning and water according to the package. When meat is cooked and crispy tortillas are baked, you are ready to assemble!
- Gather a station of all your Crunchwrap fillings: shredded lettuce, diced tomato, shredded cheese, sour cream, refried beans right in the can, jalapeño, cilantro, avocado slices (or if preferred, mash up the avocado and use for dipping).
- Starting with a large flour tortilla, layer on any COLD fillings: lettuce, tomato, avocado, cilantro, jalapeño. Place these in the center of the large tortilla, leaving about a 2-3" border all around.
- Take 1 crunchy corn tortilla and spread on one side with sour cream, placing sour cream side down onto the cold toppings. Remember, you want all of the cold toppings underneath the crispy tortilla.
- Now spread the top of the crispy tortilla with refried beans, then top with meat and cheese.
- Place a small flour tortilla on top of all your fillings. With a brush or even your fingers, wet the bare, outer edge (2-3") of the large tortilla lightly with water so that it seals well. Gently crease and fold the exposed edge of the large tortilla up and over the small tortilla. You should form the shape of a hexagon (6 folds).
- Place the Crunchwrap seam side down into a hot non-stick skillet with some vegetable oil and cook until golden brown. Then flip and cook other side until golden brown.
- Slice Crunchwrap in half and serve with mashed avocado, taco sauce, salsa, or a squeeze of lime, as desired.
- Be sure to check out the full demo by visiting my Instagram highlights. Link below!
- Recipe makes 8 Crunchwraps. Adults can probably eat 1.5-2, while 1 is probably sufficient for kids.
I have not tried this recipe. My request is that recipes would include nutrition information. My husband is on a sodium-restricted diet. The majority of recipes on Taste of Home website list nutrition info. This recipe sounds great and I imagine sodium content is too high for me to prepare this.
I am excited to make this recipe, it sounds just like it is the original recipe, I can only imagine the end result and that is the yumminess!!
I know my family will love eat this, I'll have to make a double batch.