White Chicken Enchiladas
Chicken enchiladas with white sauce feature shredded chicken mixed with sautéed onion, jalapenos, hatch chilies and cheese. Roll filling in soft, low-carb tortillas and line in a baking pan. Cover with creamy, homemade sauce, top with additional shredded white cheddar and bake.
Delicious, quick, and keto friendly (with approximately only 10 net carbs per enchilada). Perfect for an easy weeknight meal!
*Disclaimer: This article contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
I always use these low-carb tortillas when I make my enchiladas! They are super tasty and only have 4 net carbs per serving. You can buy them on Amazon, but I usually just get them at my local grocery store (Kroger). They're normally located right by the regular tortillas!
Also - I highly recommend whipping up a batch of this homemade baja sauce to drizzle on top of your enchiladas.
Ingredients for enchiladas.
Diced jalapeno and onion!
Shredded chicken filling mixture for enchiladas.
A think layer of enchilada sauce in baking dish.
Enchiladas lined in a baking dish and covered in cheese.
White Chicken Enchiladas
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large hatch green chilies *see tip below
- 2 large jalapeño peppers
- 1 medium white onion
- 1 8 oz. block cream cheese
- 1 14.5 oz. can chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 & 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- Juice from one small lime
- 3 cups shredded chicken
- 2 cups shredded white cheddar cheese *divided
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro *divided
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion *divided
- 8 low carb tortillas *8 inch, I use the La Banderita Carb Counter brand.
- Tomato, diced avocado, sour cream, salsa
- Measure olive oil into large pot, place on stovetop and set heat to medium.
- Remove veins and seeds from peppers (if you like your food spicy you can leave them in the jalapenos)!
- Dice chilies, jalapenos and onion. Place them in the pot and sauté for about 10 minutes, until onions begin to caramelize.
- Remove a quarter of veggies, place them in a medium size mixing bowl and set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium low. Cut cream cheese into cubes and add to the pot along with chicken broth, pepper, cumin and lime juice. Once cream cheese has melted, transfer ingredients to a blender and puree until smooth.
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Place shredded chicken, ½ cup of shredded cheese and ½ cup of enchilada sauce in the mixing bowl containing sautéed veggies. Chop cilantro and green onion and add half to the bowl, reserving the rest for garnish / topping. Toss ingredients together.
- Cover the bottom of a 9×12″ baking dish with a thin layer of sauce. Portion shredded chicken mixture into tortillas, roll them up and line in baking dish. Pour the rest of your sauce on top of tortillas and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake enchiladas for 20 minutes (until sauce bubbles). Allow them to cool and garnish with remaining chopped cilantro, green onion and any other desired toppings.
- Plate and enjoy!
- Hatch green chilies: if you can't find fresh chilies in the produce section, use canned! Instead of sautéing, add half of one small can to your sauce (just before blending) and place the other half in your shredded chicken filling.