Orange Spice Rolls
2 hr 5 min
Citrus season is in full swing and I’m taking full advantage! These fluffy rolls are not only filled with bits of orange zest, and warm spices like cardamom and cinnamon but topped with a sweet orange-infused frosting too!
I’ve been making these Orange Spice rolls for years now but recently decided to change it up just a wee bit.
It really seemed like a simple change. Just swapping out one ingredient for another.
I’d been doing some research on spices, and one of them on my list to try was Cardamom.
Up until that time, I’d never even heard of cardamom, never mind using it in any of my recipes.
But that all changed when I started to learn how complex and flavorful the spice really was.
Orange Spice Rolls
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 1/4 teaspoons active yeast
- 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg beaten
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter (softened)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 Tablespoon Orange zest
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup orange juice **fresh squeezed
- 2-3 Tablespoons half and half (based on consistency)
- 1 Tablespoon orange zest
To make the dough
- Add the yeast to the bowl of a stand mixer.
- Combine milk and butter in a microwave-safe cup or bowl.
- Microwave for 30 seconds. Stir and microwave another 10 seconds or more until milk is warm to the touch. (Should be around 110 degrees.)
- Pour milk mixture into the stand mixer bowl. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- Add in flour, sugar, and salt. Using the dough hook, stir the dough until all dry ingredients are incorporated.
- Add in the beaten egg.
- Continue to knead the dough for 5 minutes. **DOUGH WILL BE STICKY!
- Grease a large bowl. Place the dough in the bowl and cover.
- Place the dough in a warm (draft-free) location for 30 minutes.
To make the filling
- Combine the sugars, cardamom, and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Set butter aside,
To make rolls
- Grease a baking dish. Flour the surface to roll the dough out on well.
- Roll the dough out forming a rectangle measuring apporoximitely15"x 10" x 1".
- Spread the dough with butter.
- Sprinkle the dough with the sugar mixture.
- Roll the dough tightly and seal the seam by pinching the dough with your fingers.
- Turn the rolled dough over so the seam side is down.
- Cut the dough into 12 pieces.
- Place the rolls into the baking dish.
- Cover the baking dish and place it in a warm draft-free location for 60 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375.
- When rolls have doubled in size, place them in the oven for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove the rolls and allow them to cool before frosting.
To make frosting
- Combine the powdered sugar, orange juice, and half and half in the bowl of a stand mixer. Beat until mixture is smooth. Fold in the orange zest.
- Frost the rolls and enjoy!
Want more details about this and other recipes? Check out more here!
Published January 14th, 2022 10:34 AM
Share your thoughts, or ask a question!
Load more comments
4 of 5 comments
What size baking dish is recommended? I am guessing from the photos that it would be a 9"x13" but would like confirmation. Thanks!
Fun alternative to traditional cinnamon buns. Pinned! And going to experiment with fresh lemon and fresh lime too. Thanks for sharing.