Crunchy Stuffed French Toast
Here’s a recipe for a special day, when you want to impress someone or you just feel like making something extra - taking ordinary French toast to the next level.
Stuffed with a decadent cream cheese and strawberry filling, with a crunchy coating and topped with a berry coulis, this French toast is …. there really are no words. You just have to make it and see.
Crunchy Stuffed French Toast
Ingredients for Crunchy French Toast
- 1 loaf of brioche bread
- 2 cups of Cap’n Crunch Cereal
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 2 Tsp maple syrup
Ingredients for Cream Cheese Filling
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 2 Tbs granulated sugar
- 2 Tbs heavy cream
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- pinch salt
- 1 tsp lemon zest
Ingredients for Berry Coulis
- 1 cup strawberries - fresh or frozen
- 1 cup raspberries - fresh or frozen
- 1 cup blueberries - fresh or frozen
- 1 cup cherries - fresh or frozen
- 1/2 cup 100% cranberry juice
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Pinch of salt
Instructions for Crunchy French Toast
- Heat oven to 400 degrees
- Place Cap’n Crunch cereal into a plastic bag and crush, set aside
- Combine eggs, milk, and maple syrup together in a shallow dish, set aside
- Slice brioche bread 1” thick (for 4 servings, you will need 8 slices)
- Spread filling mixture on one side of each slice of bread
- Layer strawberries onto half of the slices, making sure you leave an empty space at the edge of the slices [no strawberries to the edge]
- Place a slice without strawberries on the top of a slice with strawberries and press firmly, making a sandwich. Continue until all of the slices are complete
- One at a time, place each bread "sandwich" into the egg mixture, flipping it over after 2-3 seconds as it soaks up the egg mixture.
- Remove the "sandwich" from the egg mixture and place it into the cereal.
- Press firmly on the top then flip the "sandwich" over and press firmly again coating it with the cereal.
- Place the "sandwich" onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Continue to dip each "sandwich" into the egg mixture then into the cereal.
- Place into the oven and bake for 10 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
- Serve with the warm berry coulis
Instructions for Cream Cheese Filling
- Cream cheese should be softened at room temperature for easier whipping. You can place the unwrapped cream cheese on a plate and put it in the microwave for 30 seconds to soften.
- Place the soften cream cheese in a bowl
- Add the remaining ingredients and whip until smooth.
Instructions for Berry Coulis
- Slice strawberries and cherries into small pieces
- In a medium sauce pan, combine all ingredients
- Bring to a boil
- Reduce heat and simmer for 12 - 15 minutes until thickened
- Stir occasionally, breaking up any large pieces of fruit with a wooden spoon
- This recipe only works with thick slices of bread and brioche is ideal
- Coulis can be stored in the refrigerator for several days and makes a great topping for ice cream too.
- Other cereals could be used for the ‘crunch’ such as corn flakes or wheat flakes.